Author Topic: A quick and better sprial flu flu  (Read 3910 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
A quick and better sprial flu flu
« on: February 27, 2010, 06:34:41 pm »
I have been playing around with spiral flu flu's and found a way that works great.  I can make pretty good ones with glue, but messy and time consuming.  Take your fletch tape and put it on the arrow shaft that you are using for the flu flu.  Space out the spiral down the shaft.  I start mine one inch from the nock and go down five inches.

Now to make this work and hold up, you have to use stripped feathers.  Ground are too stiff for the tape to hold tight.  Start at the top,nock end, and thin end of the feather, lay it on the tape and start wrapping it onto the tape on the shaft.  I tried putting it on the feather,,,,,trust me....not good.  Wrap the feather all the way to the end and you have a flu flu that looks good and will hold up and takes about 3 mins to make one,,,after you have the feathers prepped.

Offline stickbender

Re: A quick and better sprial flu flu
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 06:43:49 pm »

Has anyone ever tried putting the feathers on backwards?  Just happen to think of this, and wondered if it has been done..... ::)

Wayne

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 07:00:57 pm »

Has anyone ever tried putting the feathers on backwards? 
                                                                      Wayne

Only on Accident .....after too much to drink.... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Greatgoogamooga

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 11:30:40 pm »
Am I correct that this is the reason you were trying to strip factory full length feathers?  What was the verdict on that?

Goog

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 12:28:45 am »
Cool Charlie. I always put the tape on the feather then wrapped. I can see how this would be easier. Thanks for sharing the info.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 12:29:30 am »
Stringstreatcher.

Now to make this work and hold up, you have to use stripped feathers.

When making flu flus with full length factory Feathers,  I broke the quill side by pulling it over say the edge of a table or similar sharp edged piece of wood etc, that way the feather is quite flexible. I then use a couple of pins and glue. Have not made them for a few years but don't remember it being messy

Craig

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 09:58:48 am »
Yes Greatgoogamooga this was the reason so that I could get other colors.  And Craig I have also done it that way along with wetting the quill and shaping it around the shafts and letting dry.  For me, trying to hold a glued quill while wrapping it around a shaft, getting it tight, then pinning, clamping and all that, I just wanted an easier way.  With the stripped quills, and laying the tape on the shaft first, it comes out nice and flat against the shaft, no globs of glue, and it only takes about 3 mins per arrow and you are done.  I can make one and be shooting it almost before I can wrap one the other way and get it clamped.  Now don't get me wrong, I have used the other method for years and they are great...but give this a try and you will not use glue again.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 10:09:04 am »
Charlie, I most definitely agree. Fletch tape is what I use for the spirals, works great. I've used it with ground feathers too with no problems. For flu-flus, I usually just use those full-length Tru-flights in some funky color and put them on just like they come out of the package.

Wayne, I've put them on backwards, makes it even flu-flu-ier. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 06:39:12 pm »

Thanks Hillbilly, I was just curious, it seemed it would work that way, and have more resistance, and Flu Flu out mo better...... ;)

Wayne