Author Topic: tree id please! <<buggin me  (Read 4406 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
tree id please! <<buggin me
« on: February 20, 2010, 10:28:28 pm »
down a backroad close to where i live there are a poop-ton of these trees... they are easily identified cause they all have these peach colored dead leaves on them... what are they?   Thanks for looking.  :)

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: tree id please! <<buggin me
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 10:32:51 pm »
American Beech, Fagus grandifolia. No doubt about it, bark leaves and buds are dead on.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Josh

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 10:45:07 pm »
thanks, Jason!  you rock!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 12:37:52 am »
Beeches always hold their leaves longer than most other trees in the winter. Definitely beech.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 01:34:48 am »
Defenatley Beech...it generally has a smooth grey bark and the leaves turn that dry orangy color in the winter.  Also the leaves of the beech seem to stay on in the winter.  You can also confirm it by looking around the base of tree u should find the beech nut...small and burely, squirrels and chipmunks eat them.

Russ

Offline Josh

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 01:52:45 am »
Awesome you know how they say you learn something new everyday... well thanks for teaching me something new guys..... I was driving down this road today and they are just mixed in with all the other trees and they just looked  so awesome I had to know what they were... Thanks again!   :)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 02:23:04 am »
Just noticed this...but I can add...that this is definitely Beech too.......... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 02:29:45 am »
...thanks Mike!   ;D

Offline sonny

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 09:05:25 am »
Deer will eat those beech nuts as well.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Timo

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 10:06:40 am »
And all the little trees close by will probly be  "sons of....    >:D

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 10:20:46 am »
 I have made a bow with Beech and it is awesome , but I was told that it can cause eye cancer from the minute particles that float around from filing or sanding it .  8)
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 10:31:32 am »
The leaf buds are very distinct on beech trees. Looks like an elongated cone.
  Josh, now that you can identify them you will see beech trees everywhere. ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 10:52:14 am »
LOL, Timo! Tim Baker lists beech as a possible cause for eye cancer. So wear glasses and dust mask and keep the sawdust down.  :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 12:08:58 pm »
Timo - that's exactly what I named my bow " Son of Beech "  Lol !! :D
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 12:14:05 pm »
Have you ever been able to find a Documented Study on Beech and Cancer?? I have looked all over...and asked the three family Members I have in the Medical proffession...and they have all come up empty....Nose Cancer is 40% higher in Woodworkers than any other Craft....We all know that any kind of Dust particles are  no good to Breath ...period....don't matter whether it's Sawdust...or Coal Dust....it's all Dust and causes Irritations of some sort... Contact with the dust of many hardwoods can cause conjunctivitis (eye inflammation).... hay fever.... asthma.... coughing..... and other respiratory diseases...... Canadian and Western Red Cedar are examples..... Like Jawge said...wear eye glasses and a dust mask

here is a good list of Guidelines on Wood and it's potential health problems.....

http://www.mimf.com/archives/toxic.htm
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:22:25 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome