Author Topic: Finish over rawhide  (Read 5109 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Finish over rawhide
« on: February 21, 2010, 03:56:22 pm »
Ok, I need to put a few finishing touches on my bow, but need some advice.  I have a highly-crowned sapling so I only put a narrow strip of rawhide to cover the top of the crown.  Now my problem is, what can I use to finish the rawhide that will also work with the hard sapwood that isn't covered?  I'd like to darken up the works for stealth reasons, but have no clue how to proceed.  I don't have snakeskins, and don't want to use them anyways, I'm trying to source all local materials.  A little help here?

If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Finish over rawhide
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 04:01:46 pm »
Leather Dye will work on the Rawhide and the Bow...also Wood Stain will soak into the Rawhide to darken it...just takes a little longer to get the necessary color from it...Or...have you ever tried Spray Paint...and the Wipe it off...really makes the Grain of the Wood Pop...and works decent on Rawhide also
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 04:17:09 pm »
Thanks El D!  I was wondering about leather dye, but the spray paint idea bears some serious thought too...

Garett
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 04:24:46 pm »
Steve Parker(Hillbilly) has had good luck with Rit dye mixed with alcohol. That should work on the rawhide and wood.  Also you can get water based craft paint from wally world in many different colors. Works well for designs, etc.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 04:59:43 pm »
Cool!  Thanks, Pat.

A follow-up question:  I'm thinking it would be a good idea to pretreat the wood and rawhide so they'd accept the finish evenly.  Would a sizing of hide glue or knox work?  Or would a commercial wood conditioner be a better idea?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 05:04:37 pm »
I've been doing rawhide backong over hackberry bows lately.  The rawhide takes wood stain rather nicely, but the hackberry is not very porous and really doesn't like oil stains.  So, I have been sanding the little bit of stain off the hackberry leaving that pale soft butter yellow to stand out against the darkened rawhide.  I kinda like the look.  I'll try to get someone to take a digital photo to show you.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 05:06:59 pm »
You may not get the rawhide and wood to match color wise because they are two different materials. Maybe contrasting colors or complimentary colors.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 05:23:54 pm »
If you put Hide Glue over it...it will not take dye worth a ....well you know....the Hide Glue will not absorb dyes or Stains good...if at all.....JMHO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 05:30:57 pm »
...  I kinda like the look.  I'll try to get someone to take a digital photo to show you.

Yes, please!

I used wood stain on rawhide and TB3 as a sealer, wax on top of that. Works well!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Frank from Germany...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 06:18:07 pm »
Suh-WEET, love that bow, medicinewheel!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 06:48:24 pm »
Thanks guys!  Appreciate the responses!  Frank that bow looks AWESOME!  JW, looking forward to that picture!

Garett