Author Topic: Excited about this one  (Read 5119 times)

Offline John K

Re: Excited about this one
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 03:21:08 pm »
Keenan, is this Juniper you talk about the same as Eastern Red Cedar ?
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Keenan

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 04:56:36 pm »
No John, though they are in the same family they are different trees. ERC can be a good bow wood and is incredibly beautiful however it can also be brittle and should be backed. Same with juniper in most cases.  Juniper actually has about 7-8 different sub species. And can range from shrubs to fairly good size trees.  Mountain Juniper is the toughest but also hardest to find a straight knot free piece.  Takes a good book and carefull study of the twigs to tell the difference.

Offline John K

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 05:09:42 pm »
Thanks !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline barebo

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 05:22:33 pm »
Are there mountain juniper in New York state??? That is a premium set of staves - how will you season them ?? Looking forward to a great piece of work !!!

Offline Keenan

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 08:39:04 pm »
 Barebo, I don't know what is native where you are but I would suggest getting a tree Id book for your area. I have one that is  "Peterson Field Guides Western Trees"  And I love it has pics and all the data on climate and characteristics.  as far as seasoning, I have been trying some new methods that seem to be working. In the past I always used paint or polyurethane to seal and slow drying process to prevent checking. However I've found that Welders Splatter shield works very well. It's a spray on wax type coating used for welding and I've tried it with good success. With Juniper it's important to get the bark off soon as possible because wood wasp love to lay eggs in the bark.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:47:24 pm by Keenan »

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 12:41:10 am »
Oof, looks like premium to me :P
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 10:25:51 am »
Sweet Keenan, now you have to do a build along.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 11:09:03 am »
The only juniper that grows here in the UP is a low ground cover bush, guessing its the same in NY unless someone planted it.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI