Author Topic: Japanese soft maple  (Read 7092 times)

bowkee

Japanese soft maple
« on: February 19, 2010, 03:21:55 pm »
Tillering this Soft maple Break down, got it at 20 @ 15 now trying for 20@20.
the bow is 47"NTN and 1/3/8 at the handle fade. 1/2" tips I put the taper at 8" from the tips.
The problem is I'm a bit unsure about using soft maple for a Bow.
on an other issue I was revamping my photos on the site a few months back and discovered my disc with all my Bow picks was scratched beyond repair. To make a long story short I deleted the photos before discovering the ruined disc so intern I did not get to re-post all the photos so in frustration I closed my account. maybe someone has copies of all those bows, if not a ll I have is Memory and no reference to my Bows. Sorry about that. Phillip

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline michbowguy

Re: Japanese soft maple
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 03:27:17 pm »
...i love the pic.
"sorry honey, we dont have room for a coffe table for the phone, MY TILLERING TREE is taking up that space! ;D ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 03:36:13 pm »
Philip, soft maple will make a bow but not the best choice you could make. At 1 3/8 wide and 20# at 20" I would say you are getting close to maxing it out. proably not more than 25# at 22". You could give it a tad more bend near the fades. Steve

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 04:34:33 pm »
Phil, PK I asume?  ;D Use the search funtion if you posted pictures of your bows here using our website there should still be copys of the pictures in the threads.  I've used soft maple for a core wood in tri lams and it works fine but I've never tried it as a self bow. No reason to with all the hard woods we have access to hear in PA.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

bowkee

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 07:33:54 pm »
Thanks,  wood off the fades and the should get me to 18 or 20.
forgot to mention I backed the bow with silk.
using what wood I got for Atlatls thought I would give it a try.
been making the drums for the last few months and wondering why I was getting the most ignorant stupid sending me messages on this great Bowyers forum, another reason I closed out.

Ryan, I deleted the post photos so I could re-post better pics then discovered my discs were scratched beyond reading,
Had some heavy things land on them after our 6.5 Quake.

cordless phone #2 on the floor charging yuk yuk , nice primitives ya been getting done bowguy

bowkee

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 07:36:13 pm »
...i love the pic.
"sorry honey, we dont have room for a coffe table for the phone, MY TILLERING TREE is taking up that space! ;D ;D
I'm kinda glad I'm not married now, I can put it were ever I want. ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 07:46:18 pm »
Phillip, most of the Japanese maple I've seen seems to be really hard and dense, similar to vine maple. Never made a bow from it, but I've cut and pruned a lot of them. I've seen bows made from all kinds of maple, though. Just make the softer maples a little longer/wider, I'd guess. And if someone keeps bothering you with wierd PMs on here, let the mods/admins know and we'll get it sorted out.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 08:15:07 pm »
Steve, i think you are right about the Japanese maple being hard and dense. Coomonly used for bosai here it usually grows pretty small but is very hard wood. I was thinking of silver maple for some reason. Steve

bowkee

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 03:21:25 am »
Hillbilly, I should have done that the First time,  :P ??? ::)
The Maple is really soft and does not like heat.
Good for practice until we get over the Crisis.
Got a chance to get some yucalupedus, never tried that for a bow.

bowkee

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 06:07:06 pm »
This is not a botm Just wanted to see if these soft maple branches would work for Break down snap shooter. Chrystled a little in the beginning tiller but corrected that. Got Silk Backing and some scotch guard and beeswax for a moisture repellent, another experiment.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:18:50 pm by bowkee »

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 06:14:32 pm »
cool bow man, i love the finish work!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bowkee

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 06:22:22 pm »
Thanks josh, I really didn't think it would work, soft wood with a cloth backing,????? ???

HatchA

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 06:31:10 pm »
...i love the pic.

Maybe that should reade "... my tillering tree IS the coffee table!! "   :D  hehe

Nice looking bow, man.  Any chance you could show a closer look at the grip/handle area?  That stepped join is messing with my head  ???

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 06:39:06 pm »
  Phillip, Like Hillbilly said about the crazy PM's. Just PM me and I can fix you up. ;D When I get home I'll send you some pictures of the bow I got from you.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:10:45 am by Hillbilly »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 08:20:43 pm »
Cool little bow :)

Hey is bowkee Phillip King, akapk, coolartstick? If so glad ya came back buddy :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI