Author Topic: Patrosinio, Brazil  (Read 49725 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Patrosinio, Brazil
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2010, 06:41:18 pm »
 Wayne, it's easier than that. I can't tell them how to do it. They keep asking if they can drill this way or can we use this equiptment. I keep telling them I don't care if they go 25 meters with a teaspoon, as long as I get the samples I want. ;D And they don't speak Spanish here, if they did, it would be easier for me. :)

I also found out today, be carefull. Turns out there really is a snake here that, "shakes the tail, very dangerous", :) Can't wait to see what that look's like in the bushes. And there is supposed to be 6 more bad ones here to look for. ;D I will try to slip something thin I can roll up , home. ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:45:13 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2010, 07:36:42 pm »
I did a little looking for you Eddie.   Looks like South America has a niiiice looking rattler species.   From what I read...very dangerous

BE CAREFUL!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2010, 07:37:14 pm »
     Well better bone up on your "Portagese" ;) ;D.....But I would think that they would be able to follow you in Spanish.  Maybe if something thin was on a belt......Dang, I need to get a job like yours 8)......Maybe I should have gone into that field instead of Fire Fighting.  My back might be in better condition...... ;)     Sounds like you are finally getting to do what you were sent there to do.  What does the Boss think of it?  No not Cathy, I meant the Job Boss...... ;D  Will you be able to make it in time for Turkey season?

Wayne

Offline stickbender

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2010, 07:42:50 pm »

Dang Shannon, that one looks like a cross with a Cotton Mouth!  OOOoooohhhhweee, Eddie, that would make a sweet bow back!!! 8)  Not too many of them around at the Classic ;D                                                                                                                 
                                                                                    Wayne

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2010, 08:04:45 pm »
Eddie, I watched a show the other night called "Brazil's Top Ten Deadliest Species" or something like that. I don't remember everything, but they had anacondas, fer-de-lance, bushmaster, some kind of common deadly scorpion, stinging caterpillars that will kill you in a slow, agonizing manner, a pretty little seashell that had a deadly venomous bite, killer bees, and all kinds of other nasty stuff that lurks around in even populated places. I think I'd take my chances with all those to get away from this snow and cold wind for awhile, though. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2010, 08:10:54 pm »
I saw it Steve.  Had poor 'ol Eddie on my mind the whole time ::)
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2010, 08:16:15 pm »
 Whoa! That little rattler does look inbred with a Moccassin. And it looks like he likes the Termite piles. This place is covered with Termite piles. One of the Technicians here is supposed to show me his collection of rattles tomorrow.

I've got to walk and take pictures again this weekend of another creek on the west side of the project. So far the weeds, and insects, including spiders look like the ones in Florida. I was told today at lunch there probally wouldn't be many of the nasty snakes on these three ranches I'm on, except around the creek ::) ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2010, 09:54:10 pm »

Hmmm, after after drinking that water from that two hundred year old septic tank where they kept the slaves, you might get the idea, they are after you.  Oh no,......no snakes around here ::)......maybe by the streams. ;)  You should just wander around the jungle for awhile. ;)  Oh sure you can pick up those caterpillars 8)......oh and that scorpion too.  :o See that little black and yellow frog, they make nice pets..... ;D  Hey, let em see you eat a bug! ;D  They will be bringing you all kinds of bugs after that! ;)  Well do be careful down there those Bushmasters are supposed to be aggressive. :o  So don't be peeking down any termite mounds, on the ground or in the trees.  ;) We had the termites in the trees in the Virgin Islands.  They would build big nests in the crotches of the tree, and have several mud like tunnels running down to the ground.  Aggressive little boogers.  Well be careful you don't open up a tool box, and find a couple of snakes, that they thought you would like to see...... ;D  Oh, yeah, in the Virgin Islands there aren't any snakes, except for what they call a blind snake, and it lives under ground mostly, and is harmless.  Sort of like our glass snake, or legless lizard.  The Mongooses that they brought in to kill the cane rats, ate anything they could catch, except the rats.  The rats are nocturnal, and the Mongooses are diurnal......anyway, sounds like you are being treated well, just don't go catching any weird parasite......Wouldn't want to see you come home with a third eye on your forehead, or anything like that. :P

Wayne

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2010, 10:01:18 pm »
I've been keeping up with this thread ever since I noticed it today Eddie ;D. Very interesting stuff you got going on down there - keep the pictures rolling. It's like watching a Nat Geo program or something. Those look like the far southern variety of diamondbacks. I liked that purpleheart hoe handle too, hehehe....
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2010, 11:24:07 am »
I just had to Google Earth Patrocinio to see what it looks like.....sure lots of irrigation fields...and seems to be right adjacent to an acient meteorite strike (directly east of the city of Patrocinio).  Very cool!

...and I have to mention that the quality of imagery on Google Earth for right around the city area seems very good....if we look close, we might be able to see Eddie stalking the rivers...lol

Eddie - you should give us your Lat & Long and we'll provide supervision from the air....lol

j
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 11:34:38 am by Diligence »
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2010, 12:37:16 pm »

Diligence;  I think Eddie has been to that meteor crater......in fact he drank out of it....... ;D ;D ;D
When he comes back he will have that certain glow about him......He will be a natural moth attractant. ;D
But in his hotel room, he will keep getting up to turn off the light...... ;D  He can get a part time job at the airport.  People won't have to go through those X Ray machines, he will just walk around them...... ;D  Ok, Ok, but he probably has been there already, since he is being wined and dined, and taken to all the various tourist places......maybe he will be so kind as to show us some pictures......I want to see some pictures of the local critters, and which ones he intends to roll up real thin...... ;)  But he could use some GPS help, I mean, they have him walking streams, and waiting around, and asking if they can use this, or that, and he is having to eat weird exotic foods, and drink beer, and get paid for it......lot of stress there......lucky @#$% !  Plus, he might miss out on his Turkey hunting.  The man has a heck of a burden to carry...... ::)  I think we should all chip in and buy him a "Rosetta Stone" course in Portuguese. ;)  But then we might as well get one for Chinese, and Swahili, and what ever other language they speak in India.  I think anyone of us would be willing to purchase these items out of our own pocket , and learn them, and be his personal translator, if we could get to go with him on his adventures.  Well not to India, but China, wow, that would be cool! :o 8)  I don't know if it is a good idea to google earth, to see Eddie, we might catch him stuffing the skin of one of the local critters in his pocket.  But he seems to be holding up pretty well despite wining and dining, and tourist type travel he has to do, and the occasional stream wading.
I hope he watches for leaches, in the water, and on the edges of the streams.  I wonder if he takes a pan with him, on these stream excursions?  Ooooh, shiny rocks...... ::) 
                                                                                Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2010, 06:48:27 pm »
  It's not a meteor crater. That was one of the first thing the Geologist showed me. It is an ancient Volcanic chute. It's left over from when South America was connected to Africa. This whole area is volcanic. And what you think is irrigation is mostly coffee and soybeans. I talked to the Biologist today that is doing the enviromental study. He said just watch out for the viper's and coral snake. They have the same, exact coral snake we have in Florida. He told me the rattlesnakes are mostly in the mine area.

If you go south of the crater and east down the highway  I'm not working not far from there. I'll get off and post the longs and lats. I've got google earth loaded on here.

Hotel is:  18 56' 26.43"S    46 59' 43.23" W        go east through town to hwy MG 230   I'm working here: 19 00' 47.73"S   46 54' 31.15" W

Hey Wayne, there isn't any stream wading going on here. These is the easiest I've ever had it here. I don't want to get dirty, wet or even break a sweat unless it's having fun. Hell, they gave me my on office today and are going to buy me a new cell phone Monday so I can call the states. First time Nextel hasn't worked for me here. But, they like me. And just found out I'll probally be going to Peru instead of India. ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:16:36 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Diligence

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2010, 07:17:07 pm »
I'm looking at you now....too cool.

You know, I thought that might be an old volcanoe core, but I did not know that brazil had ancient geology like that.  I couldn't figure out how the crater had been filled in with material with no signs of rivers near it....now I know.  lol

re: the irrigation, to the west of town there are a bunch of perfect circles....figured it was long line irrigation.

Sure looks like pleasant country side, since the imagery is circa 2007, is there an existing development at that location...unless that's classified.

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2010, 07:25:52 pm »
 To the west of town is where they grow most of the Soy beans. I saw it coming from the last airport I stopped at in Ubalandia, It means "land of udders" :D The coffee is in the hills. I didn't know the geology of Brazil was that old either. But I met and have eaten dinner , breakfast and been given some classes from a geologist that is a national hero here. He discovered Phosphate ore in Brazil. One of his students has a Doctorate and is a consultant on this job has been helping me out with the geology. The stuff we are finding at 25 meters is ancient seabottom with volcanic upheavels. It is really cool, I've never seen that before.

There is no developement, yet, except for Senor Miguel and the Monsignor's houses. There is a group of farmers and ranchers that meet every morning at 7:30 and pray for a half hour they don't build the plant and gyp stack here. They are also the last ones wanting more money to sell their places. :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:30:11 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida

Offline John K

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2010, 07:41:05 pm »
Good stuff Eddie, thanks for taking me along !
The only way to fail is to never start !