Author Topic: new wood ID input needed  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

new wood ID input needed
« on: February 16, 2010, 09:27:13 pm »
I have some wood available to me. I am very very tree savvy, meaning i can usually ID about any tree i come in contact with and if i cant i can usually find it on the net. unfortunately being winter no good leaves available but ican give you a description of what they did look like also a description of some of the fallen leaves. Im just plain stumped so name a few you think it might be and maybe it will give me that little extra kick in the pants that says "yeah you didnt think of that did you"

by the way, im in central montana  other trees close by are ponderosa pines, quaken aspen, rocky mountain maple. hawthorn, russian olive

so the leaves are a round shape and toothed, but not aggressive teeth. they are about the size of a 50 cent piece, they dont seem to be in any particular order, not opposite and not consistent alternating pattern either. they remind me of a hazel leaf but they are a bit more round, smaller and not as thick and fleshy.  looks like it might have had flowers, berries or seeds of some sort, but my treestand was right next to them and i didnt see any fruits, nuts or flowers during the fall. bark is smoother much like young maples or hazels, not scaly or flakey. no thorns and no nuts on the ground

what i know its not-      black cherry, choke cherry, elms, hornbeams, hazels, maples, birches, hickories, oaks, hawthorne, olive, persimmon, dogwood, osage, mulberry

ok give me some more ideas.  ...this is where some of you native westerns can come into play
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline rileyconcrete

Re: new wood ID input needed
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 09:31:01 pm »
Picture of the bark and leaves and maybe standing tree would help.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 09:32:24 pm »
With that description I think it could be serviceberry. It may or may not have berries in the fall. Look for smallish white flower in the spring.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 09:41:18 pm »
i am aswell now thinking serviceberry, i looked it up and it looks very close. i cut a few pieces and it seems to have a very very very faint cherry or berry smell. its a sweet smelling wood like a cherry, but not nearly as strong as black or chokecherry.  certainly doesnt smell like anyother hardwoods, so that leads me to believe it is afruit bearing tree
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Diligence

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 02:02:11 pm »
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/54850/

this site shows some excellent photos of different varieties of serviceberry (saskatoon)....one big photo and 11 others below.  If you had these next to your tree stand, I'd be surprised if you did not see the reddish purple berries...if it produced any.  There might even be some remaining, very dried up berries on the trees right now....

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 03:39:39 pm »
Serviceberry would be my first guess, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 03:58:01 pm »
Sounds like serviceberry, the leaves turn a beautiful red in the fall, as for the wood I would say its stronger than cherry by a long shot
its heavy, dense and has interlocking grain like elm, in other words no fun to split.Here's a few pics I took a few years ago.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI