Author Topic: Artistic liscence with a Plains Horsebow.  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Artistic liscence with a Plains Horsebow.
« on: February 18, 2010, 10:55:22 pm »
Well, folks, it's been awhile since I posted a bow. But I have built a few...This one is a Christmas gift to my brother in Calgary. He doesn't know what's in the mail as we speak, but I hope he understands it's my way of saying thank you when he sees it.
52"NTN, all hickory slat with a rawhide backing. draws 40lbs at 23". I used artificial sinew wraps on the tips instead of overlays.(I don't have any real sinew). Sealed with TBIII. The reverse handle which is 2 extra slats of hickory laminated to the curve was glued on in a form to get the limbs in front of the handle. Worked quite well I must say! Just after unstringing the limbs are slightly gull-winged, but still rest just even with the belly side of the grip. After 15-20 minutes rest the limbstips sit about an inch ahead of the grip.

The rawhide runs tip to tip from a large doggie rawhide bone, which provided enough material for 2 more bows like this. I found this rawhide to be no more than 1/16th inch thick, and I wrapped the bow limbs with cordage while the TBIII dried.
It was quite white in colour but rather uneven, so I painted it with acrylic black paint. Sorry I forgot to photograph the painted back. 4 coats of tru-oil sealed it all in.
This bow actually came together very easily for me, no troubles along the way at all. And I was waiting for something to go wrong somewhere!.

The tuft of fur is my take on the horsehair tassles on many of the Plains bows I've seen pictures of. This bow is in no way a replica of any particular style, I just threw several ideas together and this was the result! The bow is abit sluggish, but I expected that without the sinew backing I WANTED to use! But hey, I'd love to keep it as a bunny bow if my bro' doesn't want it. In the full draw pic, I have to keep a fairly bent elbow to short draw this bow. Not real comfortable for a 28" draw archer....

Also, the plains quiver was made by a good friend of mine a.k.a.("agd68") from my homemade buckskin from last year's forkhorn buck. He also provided the red tradecloth bow sock and the three arrows, again with wild turkey feathers I had. Pretty nice beadwork he did as well!
Let me have it....I love to learn from my mistakes! Thanks

p.s. I found a pic with the bow on the table at the club....Not a great pic, but you can see the general strung profile with the black rawhide backing. I take terrible pics it seems!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:33:07 pm by Easternarcher »

Offline Simple Hunter

Re: Artistic liscence with a Plains Horsebow.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 11:03:12 pm »
Great bow its a good feeling when everything comes together.That doesn't happen to me very often.Again  great bow.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:36:07 pm by Simple Hunter »

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 11:26:27 pm »
 Wow you really moved that hickory!  And, another example of chew toy rawhide - very interesting.  That picture of the quiver/bowsock is a beauty.  Great job!
1’—>1’

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 12:34:30 am »
Nice, great looking quiver too.

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 02:06:27 am »
Nice work.  Wish I could go to my kids Gynasium and start launching arrows! 

Cheers,
Russ

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 07:14:17 am »
Good looking bow and stuff,I know he will love that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 10:39:13 am »
Nice bow. Super job with the design.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 11:34:26 am »
Good looking bow he should like it :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 11:38:49 am »
Got your skillfully made weapon bookmarked for Feb Self BOM fun. Good Job.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 12:37:19 pm »
 I like the setback bow. The finished product is beautiful!

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 12:46:02 pm »
I have to say, I'm surprised that the rawhide is holding everything together so well. I've never tried this method before, always laminated backings. AND I've never built anything so short. I actually kept it a bit longer than intended, cuz I chickened out! I didn't want this one to fail since it was a gift.
I actually enjoyed working with the rawhide and I plan on making a couple or three more of these in the future. Hopefully with sinew backing too!

Tiller was good, but I think the out limbs could have moved abit more...it shoots and that's what counts! :)