Author Topic: RAWHIDE...not the song! UPDATE!!!! page 2  (Read 6449 times)

VenomBOWslinger

RAWHIDE...not the song! UPDATE!!!! page 2
« on: February 17, 2010, 09:55:26 am »
Howdy PA members going to give rawhide a try for the first time.  My story is as follows.  Bought the puppy some of them bones, I soaked them in water for a few days, I then un wraveled them and scraped off the bits.... My question is do I splice them together using like finger joints?  This would make the most sense to me oh by the way I found Beef tendon/ Sinew at feed store for under $2.00 thought that was kinda neat.  THANKS GUYS!

Cheers,
Russ

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 06:26:09 pm by VenomBOWslinger »

Offline youngbowyer33

Re: RAWHIDE...not the song!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 10:02:33 am »
i have always wondered about using that stuff... let us know how it turns out
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 10:03:30 am »
How long are they ? I usually just butt them in the handle,never used any that wasn't at least long enough for one limb. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:07:32 am »
I do like Pappy and butt join it at the handle. If you have to join it along the limb a scarf joint with a wrap would be preferred.   The dog chew rawhide is usually pretty thick. It would be best if you can thin it some as to not add excess weight to the limbs.  I have not had to thin any so someone else ought to suggest a good method.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 10:18:49 am »
I might be able to get away with butting it up at the handle I'm backing a holmegaard so I imagine I dont need to back the levers!

Thanx!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 10:53:38 am »
Adding the rawhide to only the working portion and not the levers will certainly help with the physical weight but I would still try to thin it out some. If I remember correctly they vary in thickness also. Maybe you can stretch it and tack it down to a board and sand and/or scrape it when it dries.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 11:00:39 am »
Pat it is pretty clean and yeah it varies in thickness from what I see BUT, it is not that bad some sanding and that ought to do it.  I read about using them from off the internet they are cheap and figured why not give it a whirl.  The only downside is the prep and also the varying thickness but I have lots of tools should make light work of it.  I'll post pics along the way to show my progress!

Cheers,
Russ

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 11:29:00 am »
That stuff is way too thick for backing.
Gordon

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 01:36:00 pm »
That stuff is way too thick for backing.

Yes, the ones I have seen I would never put on a bow; buckskin and goat, that's it...
Frank from Germany...

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 01:48:28 pm »
Yes, I agree... those dog chews are way too thick for backing bows. Here in The Great White North, there are several leather supply wholesalers that sell buckskin and goat skin full rawhides. From a full buckskin, I can usually cut about 4 or 5 pairs of 2"X38" strips. They're nice and thin, and either nearly clear, or white.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 02:13:32 pm »
Both Crazy Crow and 3Rivers offers rawhide for bow backing. Also ask on the Trading Post thread. Deer and goat have both thin and strong rawhide.

Offline Barrage

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 02:28:42 pm »
I've made use of the table belt sander to thin down rawhide.  Worked out well.
Travis

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 02:58:11 pm »
I've made use of the table belt sander to thin down rawhide.  Worked out well.

I always thin down even buckskin and goat. Beltsander, yes!
Frank from Germany...

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 04:29:31 pm »
Its ok I'm only expirementing I read about someone who has used them and got good results I stretched them and 2 pieces fit fine.  They are roughly 3/16'' thick wet when all said and done I know its going to work in my favor!  Hey I did find one at the pet store which was really thin rolled up in a tube shape.  I was going to get that one but it was translucent and thought it was too thin.  Also I would like to say if I did the exact as everyone else does like go to 3rivers and such where would the fun be in expirementing.  I know where to get backing but its all good I know some of you are trying to help... But as some of you know me by now I am like the mad scientist coming up with a lot of different stuff. Anyway thanks for the input here is what it looks like so far ...its not trimmed yet ok!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 04:30:51 pm »
make sure you smooth those wrinkles out
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln