Author Topic: Tru Tung?  (Read 1906 times)

Offline riarcher

Tru Tung?
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:27:41 am »
What is the differance? Interchangable for arrow - bow sealing / finish?
I see Tung in Qt. size and comparatively cheaper than Tru in the wee little bottles at the gun shop.
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tru Tung?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 10:10:33 am »
Tung oil works well as a finish for arrows and bows. Unlike Tru-Oil, however it takes many and continuous applications to achieve a good finish. Tru-Oil has a dryer that lets it dry quicker and leaves a good surface residue that after a few coats will seal the your wood project. I believe Tru-Oil contains tung oil as well as linseed oil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 11:29:37 am »
Yes, I never used tung oil but Tru Oil just doesn't offer enough weather protection for me. Rain always raises the grain on my bows when they are finished with just Tru. On osage I use Tru as a pore sealer. I give it 3 coats and then spray with spar urethane. My whitewood bows get stained and then are given 3 coats of spar urethane. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline riarcher

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 02:23:27 pm »
Hmmm, one fron N.H. and the other from N.C and I'm in the middle (R.I.)
Sealing is exactly my concern.
Recieved a Osage character that I believe was finished in Thu if I remember right.
Was thinking periodic "add another coat" would be smart thinking, at least for R.I. weather.

Hmmm, "urethane" Used to use that on POCs.

Thanks for the replies. :D
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

rattlesnake

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 02:31:58 pm »
formsby tung-oil,...its great stuff,.....has multible oils mixed with shelac etc,...you can get it at true-value or most hardware stores........i put on one coat a day until you like finish,.....i like it better than true-oil,...snake

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 02:53:22 pm »
Spar urethane is good stuff. I use it in my snowshoes. I'd rather use grease than have Tru Oil as my sole waterproofer. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 05:38:32 pm »
Real Tung oil - that which is mostly oil of the tung nut, not a buncha better-living-through-chemistry additives - is a fine weather proof finish (rain shedding, snow melting) that gives a really nice satin finish.  I've used it for dulcimers as well as outdoors projects.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 07:18:57 pm »
all i use is homers tongue oil
it does take several coats,no big deal though
i hand rub in the first three coats,then the remanining coats(i do a min of 10 total coats,but i am anal)i wipe on and just let them dry
my bows have a furniture finish when done this way,it can be a bit shiney,but nothing a quick rub with xxxx steel wool cant handle

my father inlaw,carpenter/cabinent maker for 45 yrs self employed,told me if you do this it is all but water proof
never submerged a bow to find out,but have shot them in the rain and the waer just beads off of them.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd