Author Topic: Jay Sam 48" Ottawa w/ war arrows (not for bom)  (Read 6003 times)

half eye

Jay Sam 48" Ottawa w/ war arrows (not for bom)
« on: February 15, 2010, 03:25:47 pm »
      This is the second bow I made for Jay Sam (Odawa Elder) it's 48" NTN, Black Ash, weight is 45# @ 26", and has been tested to 28". The markings on the bow are to do with Jay. The arrows are the two types I've mentioned previously, i.e. "splinter-heads" and "turtle claw" (except these are fox claws) but the method of attachment is the same. The arrows are designed to penetrate between 6" to 10" and through penetration is NOT desired. Once they are in they are too blunt to push through and must be pulled out. In the first case "splinters are left in the wound and in the second ...the claws are left behind,
      The last time I talked with Mr. Sam, he cleared up some things for why the Ottawa bows were shorter than Chippewa, and many of the other tribes. The Ottawa were know to other tribes as "the traders" and they traveled....a lot! Shrot bows are easier to pack along, fire from canoes, and get into action a lot faster than longer bows....there is the added fact that when they had their 30 man canoes out, lookin for a little trouble, all of them could shoot at the same time because of the short bows.
      The last thing regards the even tiller (our words)...if you are scrambeling to get your stuff together to fight of ambushes etc. ....you aint got time to check which side is "up" and the bow's were expected to perform....regardless.
      Because there are more than six photo's there will be a second post.
half eye

[attachment deleted by admin]

half eye

Re: Jay Sam 48" Ottawa w/ war arrows (not for bom)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 03:27:42 pm »
Here are the rest...and some detail shots

half eye

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 03:35:17 pm »
Couple more...one money shot and an edge detail

Offline Diligence

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 03:36:29 pm »
Excellent!

I love the "nasty-ness" of those arrows.

j
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

half eye

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:36:52 pm »
here is the money shot and one for edge detail

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 03:45:06 pm »
That bow looks great Halfeye!  :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 05:34:01 pm »
When are you going to run out of ways to astonish us?  Hopefully never!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 06:19:39 pm »
Beautiful job Rich.  Jay Sam has a fantastic personal Bowyer <grin>
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 09:36:37 pm »
wow. im in awe rich.nice bow!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 11:52:51 am »
Great work, as always. Now you wouldn't want to meet 30 of those in a war canoe  :o
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dane

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 01:01:16 pm »
Okay, just wow. This is a work of art - as if your work isn't. :)

Tell us about the kinds of pigmentation you used and how you applied it? Also, the finish. The bow looks like it came right out of a museum case. The arrows are very nice, too, with the colors and the black dots and borders. Do they mean anything, or just for decoration?

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 01:24:46 pm »
Nice stuff Rich :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

half eye

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 01:40:03 pm »
hey Dane,
       The black color is actually "soot" and some rendered deer fat....just enough to make it paint. The red came from sumac berry heads that were ground and mixed with alcohol then thinned with a little fat. The green is watered down artists acrylic water paint as is the "yellow oxide" (it is in the bottoms of the "V" cuts but doesn't show real good....just a hint if the sun's just right.
       The patterns on the bow are Annishinabee/Ottawa That's the lines, colors and dots. That is an eagle on the grip (Mr. Sam's clan sign) and the oversized arrow represents (either) a strong bow, and/or a strong warrior. Turtles are held in very high esteem, having to do with the Ottawa creation stories.
       The arrows were decorated in a color/pattern scheme to match the bow. I fletched them 2 ways to show how far they sometimes went to be "stealthy". The splinter arrows with tailfeather fletch and the charred front end....is nearly impossible to see coming through the air.
       I gave the raw bow two coats of minnwax "golden-oak" and then rubbed it down and lightly roughed it up with some 200 grit wet of dry paper. Next was the paint colors and when dry they got a light sanding to put some "age" on the job. Then everything got 2 more coats of the minwax right over the paint and all. the stain went on with a soaked rag, wiped right off, then buffed....then over-again...........after that I gave it a coat of brush-on lacquer (dilluted 50/50 with acetone) that "set everything" and the wood pores were still "open" enough to keep it coated with some "bear fat" or wax etc.
     hope that answered the ? if I forgot something please let me know ...
half eye

half eye

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 01:42:38 pm »
Typin at the same time....thanks much Dana

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 03:26:42 pm »
You sure come up with some extraordinary stuff here !!!
Frank from Germany...