Author Topic: 2nd Annual Snowshoe shoot NW Penna.  (Read 5417 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

2nd Annual Snowshoe shoot NW Penna.
« on: February 14, 2010, 03:03:29 pm »
When you live in a place where snow covers the earth for months you have to make the best of it, get out an enjoy. We had 25 shooters from 69 to12, A freind of minetook these pics an I think he caught spirit of the moment. Hope these pics help anybody thats got a little cabin fever. Thanks for looking. Bob

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:18:43 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Lombard

Re: 2nd Annual Snowshoe shoot NW Penna.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 06:46:17 pm »
Bob, looks like you fellas know how to make the best of winter. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 08:29:06 pm »
Now that looks fun!  To heck with staying indoors!

Offline woodstick

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 12:59:28 am »
looks fun wish we could get snow like that. we just got 6 to 8 inches it was gone the next day.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 08:01:44 am »
Looks like a blast,looks cold also. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 09:48:05 am »
Woodstick, becareful what you wish for, It,s been like this since about Thanksgiving, sure getting a hankkerin to see bare ground again. The trick to it Pappy is to hold the fire in your hands(check photo). Not real cold about 25 everyday but night dips to about 10 been like that all winter.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 10:22:27 am »
Bob,
Looks like you guy's had a ball!

Where are you located in Penn?
I'll bet you are not too far away.
I'm in W. N.Y. and we held our 1st annual snowshoe shoot at Hawkeye Bowmen on Jan 30th.
It was a lot of fun.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 12:12:26 pm »
Buffalogobbler, Just down the road from you, Waterford about 15 miles south of Erie. I shot at Hawkeye quite a few times over the years, one of my all time favorite shoots in the late summer. Later Bob

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 12:24:50 am »
Bob, looks like I missed out on a good time. Didn't know you got them all doing primitive fire now.... >:D
Kevin, Bob is my neighbor.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 09:20:19 am »
Ryan, I told them I was building a cermonial fire an needed help with it . No volunteers so I,m just trying to plant the seed. A little differnt building fire when you have 24 non believers an snow conditions. I lucked out an found a couple old bird nests for my fine tinder an got a coal pretty quick with a mullien stock that i gathered in the fall. It was fun an ribbing is all good natured. I shot the backed bow an man she,s a shooter. Later Bob

Offline uwe

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 11:52:23 am »
Nice shooting event! It seems the snowshoe don`t sink in. I could use them here too, now, cause a lot of snow fell. Did you make them by your own? Are there any good plans for making them? Sure its a little late but may be the next winter comes earlier as expected.
Regards Uwe

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 02:30:58 pm »
Uwe, We have about a foot of fluffy snow on top of a crust an who knows how much snow under crust so you don,t sink much. I did't see any homemade snowshoes but there are quite a number of very old shoes there. I bought my shoes in 1964 as a young trapper that was going to set the world a fire, probably one of my better investments, Mine are mod. bearpaw design, good for brushy terrain, not so good for open country an real deep fluffy type snows. One guy had a pair of Michigan type shoe that his uncle bought in 1944 an man they were in great shape still peforming there job, can,t tell you much about the newer types except they looked real light an most have some type of claw on bottom for hilly terrain. ;D Bob

Offline uwe

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 12:28:09 pm »
But its a good craftmanship to make them, famillar to skills in bowmaking, woodbending, caring for growthrings, bindings etc.
Shouldn`t be impossible. I remember the Bodmer painting of the Indians, hunting a Buffalo in deep snow with lance and bow.
Thats a nice pair of snowshoes.
Regards Uwe