Author Topic: osage  (Read 1575 times)

Offline bubba pharris

osage
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:17:11 am »
going to Mississippi this weekend to cut some osage.....any recomendations on size's that are best both tree and limbs

Offline jturner

Re: osage
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 11:10:11 am »
I like the suckers that grow off a stump that was cut off, im in michigan and our osage has very tight rings. but the suckers are straight and have bigger rings.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 11:29:50 am »
Any size osage is good osage! Just stay away from the really big stuff. You lose a lot in the center of the big ones to wind shake and other types of damage usualy....and they are way more work to deal with from cutting to spliting to loading.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 11:33:36 am »
Two" to 10" or so is good and relatively easy to work with. Study the bark well for wood that has grown straight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubba pharris

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 04:37:02 pm »
thanks , that gives me something to look for. a friend in Mississippi has a lat of trees on his property and told me to cut all i want he hates them...dang the luck

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 08:50:05 pm »
Make sure to take some glue to seal the ends.  Look for young looking trees.  Some of the small trees ( 6-8") can be gnarly old things with super thin rings.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left