Author Topic: Decoration Ideas  (Read 1756 times)

Offline newknapper

Decoration Ideas
« on: February 13, 2010, 10:02:40 pm »
I just finished a D-Bow that I am going to give a young boy. Its from a southern red oak stave that I cut from behind my house. I am wanting to decorate it some cause its seasoned out a dull grey color. Any ideas? Here is a pic of it before it was finished

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Decoration Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 10:34:21 pm »
Use what you have around your property. Berries make nice color. Put some leaves in a bucket with water and let them decompose. Clay makes nuce colrs also. If all else fails use earth tone pastel chalk that can be bought at a craft store. The decorations can be made in any random patterns. I like alternating color blocks or shapes. Use your imagination and practice on a piece of paper or scap of wood.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

half eye

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:54:12 pm »
      There are about a zillion ways to get color , design, etc. on wood. Go with what the other fellas said, use artist acrylic paints (watered down to a "wash", Dana uses stain and wadded up cloth (I think) his bows are very nice. About the only thing new I could tell you about is using different color stains and do it like you would Easter-Eggs for the kids........Start with your lightest color and when dried....use a crayon to mark out some designs...then apply the next darker color....more designs....more color etc. etc. just like coloring the eggs :D Wipe the crayon off at the very end.
      Another thing I havent seen listed yet is to use stain and (while it is still wet) take a rag with the appropriate thinner and blot, rub, wipe etc. to produce a number of different effects.
       Hope it helps a little, but like nugget said just practice a little on some scrap wood first.
half eye

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 12:08:04 am »
Go to your local library and look in the NA section for patterns and colors. Get a catalog from Crazy Crow for the same stuff. It's always nice to do a drawing first to see if you are headed in the right direction. Lay out your pattern with chalk. Have fun!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 10:09:26 am »
Leather dye or Rit dye mixed in alcohol is a good way to get a lot of different color combinations and effects. Acrylic craft paint works well, also.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline newknapper

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 12:49:09 pm »
Thanks allt guys I will give it a shot