Author Topic: rawhide patch  (Read 1474 times)

radius

rawhide patch
« on: February 15, 2010, 08:42:56 am »
hi, guys...

i'm working on a short branch bow of english yew.  it's got quite a few knots in it, and developed a transverse crack a few inches out of the upper fades.  i've flowed some CA in there, and also taken pains to thin the wood on either side of the crack, to distribute the force of bending, but i'm scared it's gonna break.  I wonder if i can apply rawhide with CA and get good results?  Just a small patch, maybe 1" wide and 2" long. 

thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: rawhide patch
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 10:18:24 am »
CA won't sink into the rawhide like a water based glue will. I'd stick to TBIII or better yet hide glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

radius

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 10:25:37 am »
thanks Pat!   guess i better go pick up some knox gelatin...i wonder if they have that over here? 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 10:39:12 am »
thanks Pat!   guess i better go pick up some knox gelatin...i wonder if they have that over here? 
You are still in the UK?
Dunno about 'Knox' but I'd think you could find gelatin.
If not I have some pearl glue (dried pellets of hide glue), I could post you some, save you buying half a kilo of the darned stuff!
(Just PM me with an address if you want me to do this)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

radius

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 10:51:09 am »
thanks Del...i'd love to do it.  But i'm leaving for London on Saturday, Morocco Sunday, and i won't be back in the UK until god knows when.   that being said...PM sent...i'll go get a chunk of rawhide.

:D  thanks!