Author Topic: 50 inch sinw backed osage Pic for real this time  (Read 2942 times)

Offline jturner

50 inch sinw backed osage Pic for real this time
« on: February 14, 2010, 01:32:55 am »
This is a bow ive been waiting on the sinew to dry, It has about 2 inches of set after unstringing but goes back to flat after 10 minutes. about 60+lbs @ 28 inches. thinkin about putting rawhide over the sinew but havent decided yet. This is my first attempt at posting pics we'll see if it works.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 02:10:40 am by jturner »
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline jturner

Re: 50 inch sinw backed osage Pic for real this time
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 02:34:16 am »
Just trying to figure out how to post pics. Its 1.5 inches w to mid limb tapers to 5/8 tips 50 inches ntn  i havent retillered it since the sinew.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:38:41 am »
It looks pretty cool like it is but if it was mine I think I would try and make that handle area smaller to give the bow more working limb... You don't need that much riser and with the bow only being 50 inches long you need all the working limb you can get, sinew backed or not.
 just my 2 cents...   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 02:41:42 am »
                               Dang Josh...for an Alabama Boy...You think just like a Yooper........ ;D.......

That Handle is too large...wasted Limb that could be bending...make you Handles abou 4 1/2" Long...with near 2" Fades at each end...should be plenty...Like Jsh said...that short a Bow...needs all the Limb working that can possibl be working....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline jturner

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 03:09:18 am »
Yeah the handle is just roughed out on the bandsaw, havent done anything to it yet
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 03:41:14 am »
JT!  -  It's the length of the handle, not the overall size, you could have a probably 3" longer bending section on this anyway real short bow.
But good job! What sinew is it, how long did it season??
Frank from Germany...

Offline jturner

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 04:03:33 am »
It was deer leg sinew. sat for about a month.  My handles are what i always have to watch cause if not ill leave them long every time. usually i wont notice till I look at a pic or watch someone else shoot it. I'll get more pics up when its done. If it survives, Its pretty short. the last short one i did was 52 inches the sinew came off and that bow is still alive. This one was mostly practice sinewing, seems to be holding so far.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline uwe

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 08:31:28 am »
As others said before,  the handle is too long and too deep. I make such bows bending a little in the handle even if sinew backed. Sinew backing is,`t an insurance of non breaking. Thats a lesson I have learned long ago.
Regards Uwe

Lombard

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 10:29:11 am »
Making a shorter handle area, is something I need to work on too. Get all the limb I can working.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 12:05:38 pm »
Nice bow

Something else that has not been mentioned is that it looks like you could flip that bow around and make the bottom limb the upper
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

radius

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 12:15:05 pm »
it's true:  the main issue with this one is that the limbs aren't bending evenly...you said you hadn't re-tillered it, i think?  When you do, either flip it like Marc said, or just do the majority of your tillering off what is the upper limb in this picture.    I'm no scientist, but i think if the limbs bend drastically differently like in this photo, the result will be that the arrow lurches off the string, rather than flying off of it.

But about the sinew:  how did you enjoy doing that?  Did you bend the bow into reflex when sinewing it?  Do you have enough for another course of sinew?  If you do, you could even out the bend on those two limbs, string it backward to a low brace height (3 or 4 inches) and then apply that next course. 

That is something i've only read about, however:  sinew-backing bows is still on my to-do list.

cheers

Offline jturner

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 12:55:12 pm »
i have plenty of sinew but it is heavier than i like already. No I didnt reflex it just glued it flat. My first sinew bow didnt work so i figured id try again. This bow was tillered to 24 inches for my girlfriend, but she couldnt draw it so I figured Id sinew it for practice and make her a different bow.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 12:55:30 pm »
I bookmarked your weapon for Feb Self Bow of the Month. You might send me an email if you repost the picture if you redo the handle.
Also, can we see pics of the unbraced, braced views?
When you're retired, every day is Saturday