Author Topic: first elm bow  (Read 7242 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: first elm bow
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 11:20:24 pm »
very nice bow josh , tiller looks great

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 11:30:18 pm »
Looks great!  Next time I would suggest adding a round file to the tool chest.. makes string nocks a lot easier ;)

That's what I used!  :) ...I forgot to put that in my list of tools... I am going to go add it now to my list of "tools used" reply to Radius' post.
Thanks Scott!

Thanks Ken! 

Thanks NTD!

Thanks Brownhillboy!

Thanks Mike! 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 11:31:56 pm »
Nice work Josh.  That is a fine looking bow.  I like your improvisation of free handing on a table saw. I never though of that,  I think I'll give it a try sometime. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline Josh

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 11:42:13 pm »
Nice work Josh.  That is a fine looking bow.  I like your improvisation of free handing on a table saw. I never though of that,  I think I'll give it a try sometime. ;)

The only reason I did is because my little joke of a bandsaw couldn't bear the strain, LOL.  :)  Just be careful and go slow and remember to tilt the stave AWAY from the blade... make a pass down each side of the limb with the part resting on the table kicked out away from the blade... It will leave a crown on the belly side down the middle of your limb you can then remove with your scrapers, rasps, belt sander etc.  That's what I did and it worked pretty good... Who needs one of those fancy schmancy bandsaws anyhow, LOL   :)   -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 11:45:11 pm »
The first bow I roughed out on a bandsaw, I tilted the wrong way ;D  and sliced through the back.  Lesson learned.  I like your idea, this way I can rough out some staves at work. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 12:51:48 am »
Great lookin bow Josh!
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 01:40:35 am »
                                                                                   Thanks Mike! 

[/quote

No Problem Josh...but aint the Window cut on the Wrong Side of the Bow.................. >:D.............. ;D]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 01:42:22 am »
                                                                             Thanks Mike! 

No Problem Josh...but aint the Window cut on the Wrong Side of that Bow.................. >:D.............. ;D

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Scrub_buck

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 01:52:11 am »
Very nice!  I love the unstrung profile.  Were you proactive in obtaining that, or was it all natural?  Sorry if you explained that earlier, I didn't read all the posts.

Scrub

Offline Josh

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 02:29:06 am »
                                                                             Thanks Mike! 

No Problem Josh...but aint the Window cut on the Wrong Side of that Bow.................. >:D.............. ;D

Hardee Harr Harr!!! Mike   ;D  ...got something against us lefties?   :)  :)

Thanks Scrub buck!  I originally heated around an inch of reflex into the bow,  the top limb tip was a little deflexed I tried to get rid of it but it came back... I got scared heating this one I wanted it to stay together.  On my next one I will probably add more reflex and really torch the belly.  Seems every other elm I see here the belly is toasted to a crispy dark brown...  :)

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 02:44:46 am »
Nothing against South Paws....both My Boys are Lefties...you know what they Say...Lefties are the Only Ones to think with the Right Side of Their Brain........ :P
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 02:55:14 am »
Nothing against South Paws....both My Boys are Lefties...you know what they Say...Lefties are the Only Ones to think with the Right Side of Their Brain........ :P

>LOL that's the truth.. It just kinda stinks that everything is set up for right handed people... I have a hard time making bows for other people.  I am making one now for the guy who owns the deer processing place up the road, he saved me like 100 deer legs this year so i am making him a bow..  (good trade, right?)  I should be finishing up the tiller on it tomorrow and I am gonna have to shoot it in and then set it up for right handed and let my buddy Snakeman shoot it and tell me how it shoots from the other side of the bow...  I tried learnin to shoot right handed but really can't get a feel for it...  ;D -josh

radius

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 08:00:17 am »
Josh, have you made a little heat-tempering jig?  Like the one Marc St Louis shows in his chapter in the Bilble?  (there's a few pics of it in the oak bows' posts i made last summer)  that way you can heat temper wood at a safe distance, hands-free.    I think he uses elm almost exclusively, says he lives in a forest of the stuff.  From what i can tell, elm is a premier wood for heat-treating and you don't have to worry about burning it.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2010, 02:04:51 pm »
Nice job on that elm!! Bookmarked, too, for BOM
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Josh

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 02:43:17 am »
Josh, have you made a little heat-tempering jig?  Like the one Marc St Louis shows in his chapter in the Bilble?  (there's a few pics of it in the oak bows' posts i made last summer)  that way you can heat temper wood at a safe distance, hands-free.    I think he uses elm almost exclusively, says he lives in a forest of the stuff.  From what i can tell, elm is a premier wood for heat-treating and you don't have to worry about burning it.

I haven't made one yet, Scott but I am in the process of making a deflex recurve outta red oak and I plan on making one to reflex the limbs on that one after I glue the deflex into the handle.  Thanks for the info!   :)

Thanks Don, I know I don't ever stand a chance with all these wonderful bows that are posted each month..but hey it's all in fun anyways!  -josh   :)