Author Topic: first elm bow  (Read 7243 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
first elm bow
« on: February 12, 2010, 01:59:56 pm »
I cut this log last summer and this is the first bow I have made from it.. It is Winged Elm, 63" NtN 48# @ 28" It has matching knots in both tips, it is kinda cool how the bow laid out in the stave, but the knots give it a little handshock.  This bow took less than an inch of follow and I started with around an inch of reflex. I accidentally scarred it in the lower fade with my table saw roughing out the belly but it is in a non-bending portion so I guess it will be ok. (Don't ask...I don't know WHY I would ever use a table saw on a stave in the first place!)   I could have sanded it out but decided to leave it as a reminder to slow down sometimes... I always tend to get impatient and get in a hurry.  :)  It has 7 coats of tru oil on it and red oak tip overlays and arrow rest... I also left the cambium on so far no problems...  I chose to keep this one simple for my first elm but I think it came out beautiful just to spite me.  Thanks for looking!  :)   -josh

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 03:45:34 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

Re: first elm bow
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 02:01:58 pm »

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 02:09:04 pm »

Offline Josh

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 02:09:56 pm »

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 02:23:40 pm »
That looks great Josh. Tiller is real nice. I just started on a winged elm stave. just drying it a bit more. How was it to work with? Did you use any heat on it?
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 02:24:44 pm »
I think thats a fine looking bow. congrats on it.  tiller looks pretty darn nice - Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

radius

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 04:08:29 pm »
good work, Josh.  I like the knots.  I wonder if they'd file down and leave no problems, the way they seem to do with yew.  Elm has a great reputation.  I haven't worked any yet, but i'm gonna when i get back to Vancouver.  There's a hardwood dealer there that seller elm boards, so i can get it knot-free. 

So, other than with the table saw, what tools did you use with it, and what did you think of the wood?

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 04:47:05 pm »
Really nice job. Tiller looks swell!( Shelf is on the wrong side though):) No worries on the saw mark, as you said, a constant reminder. ;)

I've made a couple bows from winged elm. (nuthin straight yet). :'( Keeping the wood  dry throughout the building process makes a huge difference with it. Lots of hot box time on those I have made. A pleasure to work and some perty fast wood. I give it a couple thumbs.

Offline Josh

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 06:57:55 pm »
thanks Jesse, Elm is a pleasure to work.  I really floor tillered it too much so I came in a little under weight.  It will fool you if you are used to working osage or ipe as it ends up being alot thicker.  It shaves great though, real easy to work for me.

Thank you twisted limbs!

Thanks Scott!  I am not gonna chance filing down the knots, the hand shock is very light and I think the knots add to the character. The tools I used from start to finish are: bow saw to cut it down, sledgehammer and wedges to split it, draw knife to get the bark off, pencil to draw the bow the bow out, table saw to get it CLOSE to the lines for the front view, table saw again to remove belly wood, that's where it incurred its injury... belt sander to taper the fades/handle, belt sander to taper from mid-limb to tips, 2 ton epoxy for tip overlays,edit: round chainsaw file for string grooves, draw knife at 90 degrees for tillering, 60 grit, 120 grit, 220 grit, 320 grit sandpapers, 7 coats of tru oil, leather, tan B-50 dacron and curved needle to sew on the  handle wrap.  Brown and tan B-50 for the string (14 strand double loop flemish twist)  Rabbit fur for the string silencers.  I think I covered everything...   :D ;D  ;D   ;)

Thanks Timo!  the shelf is on the correct side for us Southpaws!  If a righty wants to shoot it I guess it'll have to be off the knuckle!   ;)

-josh
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 11:34:11 pm by Josh »

Offline gmc

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 07:12:14 pm »
Looks really nice, Josh. For a 28'' draw over that length, looks like you getting every ounce - very nice tiller on that bow.
Central Kentucky

radius

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 08:27:45 pm »
yeah i guess you covered it all...even mentioning the pencil!  you are very thorough in your explanation   :-\

Offline Josh

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 08:41:20 pm »
yeah i guess you covered it all...even mentioning the pencil!  you are very thorough in your explanation   :-\

;D   ;)

Offline NTD

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 08:54:33 pm »
Gorgeous Bow Josh!!  Tiller looks beautiful.  And the slight imperfection of the saw scar adds character ;)  I'd love to work with some elm but it's a wood I can't get in these parts.  Might have to trade some skins for some.
Nate Danforth

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 09:24:44 pm »
Nice bow, tiller looks great!
south central VA

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 09:34:07 pm »
Really nice Elm Bow Josh....keep em coming!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome