Author Topic: Del's Cherry Ash Little Joke... Truth revealed  (Read 9965 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Del's Cherry Ash Little Joke... Truth revealed
« on: February 11, 2010, 06:03:31 pm »
Here it is, the back is fairly thick Ash to allow a llittle sculpturing at the grip.
Nocks Waterbuffalo horn. I havn't really shot it yet but it feels tight and snappy. There's a whisker of set it was glued up straight.
It's sort of AFB ish, not my usual self bow style, just playin' really to see how I get on.

Well, it's only 18" long :o.
The draw weight IS 48  (ounces  ::) )
I feel mean teasing you guys... hope I'm forgiven  :-[
Here I am checking the tiller  ;D

I've rotated the handle pic so the lighting is a bit weird.

Better pic here in daylight, full draw 48 @ 28  ;D (48 ounces at 8" really O:))

Del
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:04:58 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: Del's Cherry Ash Combo
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 06:07:59 pm »
Purty!  But you're holding out on us...
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 06:10:48 pm »
Purty!  But you're holding out on us...
I'll get a pic of it on a tiller stick tomorrow... been a long day O:).
Del

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 06:21:34 pm »
sounds like an interesting ratio.  looks about 1/2 and 1/2.  look forward to seeing more pics.

radius

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 06:45:05 pm »
is that the secret bow???  guess the secret's out...how about some specs?

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 06:49:15 pm »
is that the secret bow???  guess the secret's out...how about some specs?
Yup that's it, I'll get it on the tiller tomorrow and see exactly what she weighs.
63" ntn draws 28", gotta do the final tuning and shoot it through the chrono. I'm looking for 55# at 28"
But I've not worked it all out yet.
Del

radius

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 07:03:26 pm »
well, you're the man...i'm sure you can pull it off!

Offline gmc

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 07:28:07 pm »
Very nice! A lot of fine looking bows posted lately.
Central Kentucky

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Del's Cherry Ash Combo, full draw pic
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 07:14:20 am »
Good looking bow,looks like a cool combo. Bet it's a sweet shooter. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

radius

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 07:37:34 am »
dude, i love it...i guess AFB is American Flatbow???   God the Americans are as bad as the British...i've been here 2 months, and it seems like the word "British" means "superior" as in, British meat, or British television...something in the tone of voice when they say it...being British you know what i'm saying...the British even talk about the trees and stones as if they were something to be proud of as a culture:  English Oak and all that...

regardless...great bow...48 is a little short of your mark, but hey it's still legal hunting weight so good on ya.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 07:43:27 am »
dude, i love it...i guess AFB is American Flatbow???   God the Americans are as bad as the British...i've been here 2 months, and it seems like the word "British" means "superior" as in, British meat, or British television...something in the tone of voice when they say it...being British you know what i'm saying...the British even talk about the trees and stones as if they were something to be proud of as a culture:  English Oak and all that...

regardless...great bow...48 is a little short of your mark, but hey it's still legal hunting weight so good on ya.

Yeah American Flatbow, or what some people your side of the pond would call a long bow. It's all so confusing, I shall have to lie down ::).
Del

radius

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 07:57:31 am »
i d k where the term American Flatbow comes from...i think what it really is, is a differentiation from the d-shaped yew longbow ... but god knows the indians in north america weren't americans...and they were using flat bows...and the ancient europeans who made the holmegaards and meare heath bows weren't american...but okay, i just wanted to check i understood ya!

after your kip, you gonna put some finish on that thing?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 08:40:05 am »
I like it Del...I bet it will really snap an Arrow out there too! I don't know ...because I didn't read the whole Post...but if I was building this (which I am not... ;))...I would take a bit more off of each Limb from Mid Limb to near the Tips...just to get more Wood working...and minimize the chances of Chrysals in the Cherry from overstressing....JMO....I really like the Bow...I just think that this would be a Safety Item thats all............. O:)

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 08:43:44 am »
I like it Del...I bet it will really snap an Arrow out there too! I don't know ...because I didn't read the whole Post...but if I was building this (which I am not... ;))...I would take a bit more off of each Limb from Mid Limb to near the Tips...just to get more Wood working...and minimize the chances of Chrysals in the Cherry from overstressing....JMO....I really like the Bow...I just think that this would be a Safety Item thats all............. O:)
Yeah, I definitely agree, if I had a bit more weight to spare, I'd abjust the tiller in that direction, maybe I could take it down to 45 with a more rounded tiller, loosing that bit of weight would prob keep the speed up.
Del

Offline Diligence

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 11:08:01 am »
That's very nice looking Del.....what kind of a cross section shape do you have?  you call it a flatbow, but is that a rectangular cross section?  Curious about the rough limb dimensions and if there really is an significant width change thru the handle into the fade area.

This is pretty much what I had in my minds eye for how I want my new bow to turn out.  Thanks for the excellent visual image.

Cheers,
J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.