Author Topic: Slick Elm Log  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Scrub_buck

Slick Elm Log
« on: February 16, 2010, 06:09:20 pm »
Worked on a Winged Elm today.  Got it to the house and split into quarters.  The log split nicely ... however, I would like to split the halves one more time.  They are currently about 6 inches across the bark... one more split would give me two staves from each quarter about 3 inches across.  That would be just about perfect.

I like splitting from the bark side, but they will not stand up now.  I am thinking about standing the quarter on end and taking a machete and just tap it all the way down the wood to the bottom.  Any recommendations?  I also thought about running them through my bandsaw.  The grain is very straight, so there shouldn't be too much to worry about with grain issues.

Any recommendations?  I am beat for now, so I will try to split them later this week.  That will give you all a chance to speak up and help out a rookie stave splitter.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 06:17:46 pm by Scrub_buck »

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Slick Elm Log
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 06:28:29 pm »
I don't know if I would split them any more at this time.
If split to thin, Elm has a habit of twisting itself into a pretzel as it dries.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 06:30:31 pm »
that's some beautiful wood Scrub. The one I split was only like 4" diameter so I made one bow from each half (just starting the second). The other half of the log pulled into a bunch of reflex since it has been drying so I am going to have to take some of it out with steam...  Ridge is right I would let it marinate for awhile that size that way it won't do that to you...  I really liked working elm though, easy to carve and tough as nails...  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline John K

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 06:37:56 pm »
What the others have said.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 07:18:15 pm »
I'm a real fan of the winged elm. Makes some fine bows. I'd leave it be for a while.

radius

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 07:41:36 pm »
how long is "awhile", please?  I plan to cut some elm when i find some and i wanna do it right.

How about the method where you weigh it when you cut it, and weigh it weekly until it stops losing weight? 

Offline yazoo

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 07:43:18 pm »
this is a really great wood,,looks like you sawed kerfs for the splits,,which I dont recommend,,even on the worlds straightest tree If you saw kerfs, there will be slight grain violations,,now If you band saw the the staves in two,, there will be more grain violation,,thats two chances now for problems,,,,If you split now you will find out how straight the grain is,,because your split will follow the grain which now may not line up with your outside edges,, probably best now to let the mosture stabalize then band saw in half and hope for the best,,,,mike
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Lombard

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 08:07:03 pm »
Scrub buck, looks like you got a nice score there. I have some winged elm drying. Took a stave that size and halved again. Took one of those half's and shaved it down to rough bow dimensions, and then restrained it to a overhead joist in my mini barn to dry. The other half I just put in the wood rack in the upstairs of my barn, and like the other guys have said it twisted up like a pretzel. Fire wood! So I think your fine to half those, but work them down and restrain them with clamps so you don't lose wood.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 08:36:09 pm »
Kerfing Elm is the best way to handle it.  I leave the wood dry for awhile after I kerf it though before I split it into staves, lets the wood stabilize

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com