Author Topic: nock cutting..  (Read 6920 times)

Offline aero86

nock cutting..
« on: February 07, 2010, 11:54:14 am »
i dont know how you guys do it.  but i was looking for small round files today at home depot, while picking up a few packages of bamboo..(hehe), and the sets were 10 and 16.  while not bad, i just couldnt justify that price for just the one file.  so anyways, i just happen to go through the tile section and i found a tile hacksaw blade.  i dont remember the size, but there were only two sizes, its the longer one.  its a round blade that fits a regular hack saw. i should have kept the packaging for the size.  but anyways, it cuts the nock perfect for my string.  just thought id share.  and it was only like 4 dollars. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: nock cutting..
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 12:31:46 pm »
Go down to the power equipment section and look by the chainsaws. A chain sharpening file works great and isn't too expensive, it is what I have used from day one.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:08:38 pm »
I use a Chainsaw File for Bow Tip Nocks...but I have had mixed results on Arrows...too big a Slot for a 14 strand 2 ply String....I use Hacksaw Blades taped together...but I have tried the round Cable Saw Blade that Aero is talking about...they work good for Arrow Nocks...and they stay clean better than a Chainsaw File does....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 01:24:52 pm »
Band saw, a drill bit, and sand paper, guess I'm lazy when it comes to cutting nocks :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 01:26:50 pm »
These are my arrow making tools. As you can see I also have a ceramic saw blade set in an osage handle. I have use it some but not too much.
 Generally I will just make a single bandsaw cut and open and shape it with a thin blade knife and sand paper. I use the needle file to relieve the sharp edges to protect the bow string at full draw.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:03:22 pm »
OOPs, I didn't notice this was in the arrow section. I assumed you were talking about string nocks because you were talking files. I made a simple jig that the arrow fits in. I run it across my table saw and it cuts the arrow nocks to depth and width in one pass.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 02:05:32 pm »
Now that is thinking...but I can visualize it better with.......Pictures.......... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 02:22:19 pm »
I cut a slot with a hacksaw or bandsaw, then round it out with a small round rasp like the one second from the bottom in Pat's pic.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jb.68

• Ancestral Archer
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 07:13:00 pm »
This works quite well.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 07:24:31 pm »
Yep...that would work great on POC...or Hardwood Dowels...but I beleive that on Boo or Cane...it may not be soo good as a Hand Tool
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 10:18:09 pm »
I use a sharp knife for two opposing 45 degree cuts, so the end of the arrow is a vee. This reveals he pith which is centered. A folded piece of sandpaper (of file rasp etc.) deepens the nock.

Offline jb.68

• Ancestral Archer
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 05:56:33 pm »
Yep...that would work great on POC...or Hardwood Dowels...but I beleive that on Boo or Cane...it may not be soo good as a Hand Tool

Ahh yeh well as you can guess, I completely missed the Bamboo reference there.. My apologies.  ;)

jb

Offline PeteC

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 08:46:58 pm »
IMHO,the best tool for cutting arrow nocks is a ceramic saw.You can get one  at Lowe's for less than 10 bucks.It looks like a coping saw with a rough, round "blade". God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 09:21:10 pm »
thats what i got petec and i love it!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 09:27:07 pm »
That's the bottom tool in the pic I posted.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC