Author Topic: u guys are driving me nuts  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

u guys are driving me nuts
« on: February 13, 2010, 03:32:37 pm »
I have been lurking on here watching you guys make some stellar points and blades and its driving me nuts, now that i am in montana i cant get much knapping done outside and since i am stayin with relatives until spring and i cant knap inside either. i am dieing to make some nice points. of course even when i do get some done they still dont look as nice as everyone elses.  i am almost thinking i am not goin to get any better using aboriginal tools. i hate to say it but i may consider using copper.  i just dont think i can get those precise finish flakes and notches using deer antler. or even get the precise percussion flakes with antler billets.
                 so anyways here is my challenge for you fine knappers...and there's a bunch of you.  knap a couple points using only antler tools and post some pics. i want everyone to prove me wrong that you can get good points and blades consistently only using antler......so thats my dare to you!
  i can occasionaly make some sweet points with antler but the norm is a little less satisfactory than i like. so dont show me the best you have ever done with antler, knap 1 or 2 and post the first couple you come up with.   hows that sound?
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: u guys are driving me nuts
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 05:58:25 pm »
I'd be glad to if it wasn't so durn cold and snowy here. I like antler for percussion much better than copper myself (don't even own a copper percussion implement) but I do like copper for pressure flaking. Antler will work just as good, but it's a pain in the butt to keep sharp and maintained. I use copper pressure flakers from outright laziness.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 06:55:12 pm »
The last piece I posted was all copper and it was probably the best piece I've ever done. I don't attribute that to the copper though. I had ruined a bunch of points previous to that one so I slowed down when I did this piece.I find it neccassary to remind myself to pressure flake my platforms in even when I'm still using percussion. Especially as it gets thinner.most everything I've done is with antler except like steve said when I get lazy. Bad tips on the anter and I really start to screw up a point.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 10:06:48 pm »
 Sorry, I like copper and hammer stones. I gave my moose billet away.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 11:13:47 pm »
Well all my tools are antler and hammer stones....except for my pressure flakers... I'm with hillbilly there.

Them paleo boys had it going on I tell ya. Study there work...Did they have copper? Maybe so? Not sure. ;D I have alot of respect to those who can turn out consistent great work with all abo,and they are out there.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 10:14:28 am »
James Parker (Robustus) turns out stunning stuff without copper on a regular basis. Marty Reuter has some videos on youtube (he goes by flintknappingtips) of making all kinds of killer stuff completely abo. Lots more great abo knappers out there, those are just two that come to mind immediately.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 12:52:38 pm »
Sounds like a good challenge. I've never tried all abo - I do like hammerstones for the big work but everything else has been copper. I'll have to make up some tools and see what can be done.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 03:16:12 pm »
would love to give the all abo a whack
but lacking the necassary tools for it
i have one piece of antler to make into a billet,but its kinda small wont do any real heavy percussion with it
other wise i am an hammer stone/copper bopper and flaker kinda guy
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd