Author Topic: Hawthorn bow  (Read 4746 times)

Offline broad_head

Hawthorn bow
« on: February 09, 2010, 10:31:20 am »
Hi All
           I posted this bow a while ago to asking for advise on tillering. The Hawthorn stave this bow came from would really like to have been a left-handed, but with a bit of persuasion with steam and clamps I got it to be a right-handed. As you can see it is a very odd looking bow. The handle area split quite badly during the drying process so I filled the cracks with two-part epoxy glue. The bow has been shot quite a few times now with no problems. The stats are 68 inches overall length. Draw weight 42lb @ 27 inches.
               Peter (UK)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline kylerprochaska

Re: Hawthorn bow
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 10:34:11 am »
I love the character of this one! what did you use for your strike plate?

Ky
GBR!

radius

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 10:34:35 am »
wow, man...even i wouldn't try that one!

you live in the UK???  there are yew trees growing everywhere!

parspektiv

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 10:36:48 am »
Wow! I really like it! This is just the kind of bow i would like to build. How does it shoot? Hand shock? Accuracy?

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 11:30:57 am »
I think it looks pretty awesome, lots of character!   ...it might be bending a little bit more in the top fade than in the rest of the limb but it is kinda hard to tell for sure.  My hat's off to you sir for working such a difficult piece of wood.     :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 11:37:45 am »
 Peter, You did fantastic on a very challenging stave to work. Dips and dives are very tricky to not be fooled when tillering and you did great. Looking at your unbraced pic shows that you have really nailed the tiller and made every part bend in perportion just right, Congratulations.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 11:51:27 am »
Dang thats a crooked stick :o Well done on a tough stave :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 12:14:54 pm »
Great looking bow on one narly piece of wood.Them are the kind of pieces that make you wonder,why do I do this. ;) :) They say good wood make a better bow but bad wood make a better bowyer. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 01:17:27 pm »
Doubtlessly really special!
Frank from Germany...

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 02:00:47 pm »
Blimey Peter, my piece of hawthorn (now drying) looks like a board compared to that!  That is a real 3-dimensional puzzle.  Nice work as always.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline markinengland

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 05:55:19 pm »
Peter,

Great bow. Seeing the pics I can better understand the tiller and what a good job you have done.

Having seen you shooting it last week I can also say it spits the arrows out at speed as well.

You should post more of your bows.

Mark in England

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 03:07:29 pm »
Quite the accomplishment, I'd say. Bookmarked under Feb Self Bows for BOM fun, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline dwardo

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 03:42:11 pm »
Lovely job on such a head bandging bit of hawthorn  ;D
 I have tried to split a Hawthorn sapling and it was so twisted and interlocked it ripped its self apart. Next time i will try a saw!
What was the width of the tree/sapling this was taken from and was it split or sawn/hatchet?
Also it checks and warps like no other wood i have seen when drying.

Sorry for all the questions but i have been meaning to try a Haw bow for a while it seems like lovely wood.

(Leon. UK)

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 04:41:33 pm »
When I first looked at your full draw pic, I tought "Oh my God... what terrible tiller..." you have a major hinge in the top limb at the fade!!
But after scrolling down to the rest of the pics, I'm amazed. What a wonky stave, and what a super job on a piece of wood I'd probably pass up!  ;D

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 10:34:40 pm »
When I first looked at your full draw pic, I tought "Oh my God... what terrible tiller..." you have a major hinge in the top limb at the fade!!
But after scrolling down to the rest of the pics, I'm amazed. What a wonky stave, and what a super job on a piece of wood I'd probably pass up!  ;D
''

exactly my thoughts.  ;D
lets just shoot it