Author Topic: Shafts at Home Depot  (Read 9879 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Re: Shafts at Home Depot
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 12:01:59 am »
  In the process of trying to make 2. Got the handle glued on one today and will put the backing on  sometime tomarrow :) Then glue up the 2nd handle. If the first fails then I have the second to not make that same mistake on ;D
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 01:52:23 am »
Canoe, Yes, the 3/8 will be the smaller end. 3/8 seems to be as about the smallest diameter for self nocking.  I really suck at making self nocks.  Lately, I've be plugging the cane with a dowel, tapering the ends and using commercial nocks.  Most of the time the cane and shoots are wider where they grow closest to the ground and get narrower up the shoot.  This creates a natural tapered shaft.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 02:11:30 am »
I have never made a Cane or Boo Arrow that was 3/8" at the Nocking End...that was under 80 Pound Spined....all of my Arrows are Spined for 50-60 pound Bows...and are betweem 1/4" and 5/16" at the NocKing End...and 3/8" to 7/16" at the Point End...I have always found that when  3/8" at the Nock End...they are way overspined for my 60 pound Selfbows.....JMO
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 01:37:30 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 02:49:00 am »
El, I will differe to your experience and knowledge :)  I'm still learning to match spine to bow.  Some of mine arrows do seem a bit over spined while other seem pretty good.

I've seen the question anwered before on here, but couldn't find it last week when I did a search:
     If the nock end leans to the left of impact is the arrow over spined or under spined
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline aero86

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 02:54:47 am »
Don't forget bamboo has a stiffer side.   That's the side u wanna spine for
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 03:00:27 am »
No...if the Point Hits left and the Nock leans right...for a Righty...not a Lefty now....it's overspined... and yes...remember that if yo push down straight on a shaft of Boo or Cane...the Arrow will bend towards to weaker Side...

The Picture....

1) Spined Correctly / Nocked Correctly

2) Nocking Point Too High

3) Nocking Point too Low

4) Underspined

5) Overspined

6) Underspined / Nocking Point High

Hope that this helps you........

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTD

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 03:06:32 am »
It helps me, thanks Mike.
Nate Danforth

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 03:21:07 am »
Thanks El.  That's what I was looking for.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 10:28:30 am »
Shopping the home and tool "salvage store" yesterday and found a corner with a bunch of plastic bags containing 6 bamboo or maybe tonkin poles that are 60 inches  long...the package says they are "plant stakes". I bought 2 packages for 1.99 each. Brought them home and cut them at 31 inches and as close to the same size as possible. I've got 12 decent looking shafts for perhaps a 50-60 pound bow. Now to clean, sand and straighten them....I like it!

Looking on the web to see if I got a deal or not and found this site..http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?Words=n601&cmd=view

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 10:34:30 am »
I don't want my arrows 3/8" at the point end, much less the nock end, most cane or boo I've used that would make them stiff as a fence post. Most of my cane arrows wind up about 23/32" or 11/32" at the point, and around 5/16" at the nock end. And that's leaving them a few inches longer than my draw length.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline aero86

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 11:00:03 am »
El destructo, are you using the shaft in the tapered way?  Big end pointy end small end nock end?  I'm just making sure ur post kinda jumbled me up
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2010, 11:37:30 am »
Howdy Group,

El D., I'll be shopping for those smaller boo shafts; (1/4" - 5/16" at the small ends).  Also, thanks for the paper tuning tutorial. 
It's almost lawn and garden season at the HD, where they'll be putting out all those gardening supplies - including fresh bunches of garden stakes.  I'll be there.

Thanks for your help guys,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 01:25:49 pm »
I tried to straighten a few this morning. I used a propane torch. Had trouble with one out of 4. Three turned out to be pretty straight. My question is the torch scorched it a bit, is this normal? Also what about the nodes. Do you sand them flush?
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 01:36:21 pm »
El destructo, are you using the shaft in the tapered way?  Big end pointy end small end nock end?  I'm just making sure ur post kinda jumbled me up

Thats exactly right...read above...Steve (Hillbilly) hit it right on the Nose too.....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2010, 02:32:56 pm »
El D, just to clarify, here...

TBB III pg 230 shows underspined arrows shooting off to the left and overspined to the right.  Is that a goof-up?

Garett
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson