Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4713622 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Life is good
« Reply #7845 on: May 25, 2012, 12:41:44 am »
I'd bet Miss Joanie wields a chainsaw with authority!  ;)  Don't work her too hard Pappy.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #7846 on: May 25, 2012, 01:31:57 am »
I have a feeling I will be mighty tired come Saturday evening.  I finished up Will's arrows so that's done at least.  Should be a fun weekend at Twin Oaks.  If Joe is reading this keep an eye out for a package i sent tour way.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7847 on: May 25, 2012, 06:18:24 am »
FRIDAY,Yes. I am headed to the cabin this evening as soon as I can get out of here and am really looking forward to it,we plan on dropping the big Hickory and one smaller one ,the small one is about 20 inches across the base ,the large one is ,[well lets just say big] this evening and get on the splitting/debarking/sealing and hauling out early in the morning,it is supposed to be hot,well into the 90s so it's going to be hot but we have some much going on in the next month or so this is the only open weekend ,so we got to get it done. I have a few little things I want to get done but mostly plan on working with the Hickory.Hope yall have a good one.Wished you was here also Steve we could use the help. ;) ;D ;D See yall Tuesday.Life is Good. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #7848 on: May 25, 2012, 06:33:48 am »
Jon:  Just got home from Africa and the plane rides were horrible (2 days each way).  I will try to make it to town to check the mail and thank you for any thing you have sent to me!  We have 2 inches of new snow and we really needed the moisture.  Have been trying to check out the pictures and comments about the Classic and really feel bad about missing it!  I'll bet ole JW is cussing me for missing a ride to the farm!  I want to thank Cracker for the pink fletched arrows I saw in that little girl's quiver!  Would like to spend some time in the "Spirit Station"!  There are still a couple of days left in the turkey season so hope to find where these old mountain turkeys are hanging out!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Badger

« Reply #7849 on: May 25, 2012, 10:09:41 am »
  That sounds like some serious work splitting up a big hichory. I guess if it don't kill you it will make you stronger.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7850 on: May 29, 2012, 07:14:21 am »
Steve I don't know about making you stronger but it will make you sore. ;) ;D ;D
We had a great weekend, We got the Hickory ,matter a fact 2 Hickory cut /split/sealed and hauled to the cabin. Also had time for a few other things.We cut the trees Friday evening and split and hauled Saturday morning,I sealed them Saturday evening and again along with some bug spray Yesterday,it looks about as good as any we have cut over the years. I also got 2 more hides ready to tan when I get time,also finished another remake bow for another weak friend. ;) ;D ;D Got my Osage static tip tillered 51@26 and ready to shoot in.  :D More turkey feathers sorted and beaver tale scraped and sanded. We also done some tweeking on Will's snaky Osage so all in all it was a great weekend.Here are some pictures of the fun. :) :) GregB and Will found me and old hand drill press,I got it torn down and  freed up ,then put back together,it is going to be a nice addition to the shop. :) :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7851 on: May 29, 2012, 07:16:58 am »
Downing the trees Friday evening,had some good help,Woody,Scott and sweet pea, BigA ,GregB ,Jon and myself. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7852 on: May 29, 2012, 07:20:11 am »
More of the falling of the tree and a little knuckle busting,ouch. ;) :) :) Seems I can't do nothing with out at least one or two of them. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7853 on: May 29, 2012, 07:22:52 am »
Cutting into 75 inch logs and de barking,that is sweet to do this time of year.Jon on supper,he is all about eating. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7854 on: May 29, 2012, 07:28:08 am »
Then supper and some relaxing around the fire. Hauling out Saturday morning,we were in the woods at daylight. ;) ;D ;D Jimmy working on some skins on a bow he is making for a friend,looked nice. :) :) Allen showed up and helped also gave GregB and Jon a lesson on heat treating a blade with fire and oil. Very cool. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7855 on: May 29, 2012, 07:32:45 am »
The splits sprayed for bugs and sealed the first time,with poly on the back and wood glue on the ends,we used what we had. :) the oven Allen uses for heat treating blades.Jimmy still at it and Will doing some tip over lays. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7856 on: May 29, 2012, 07:37:18 am »
Oil bath for quenching the blades and Jon's blade afterwards. My beaver tail dried and ready for sanding and final clean up.Will burning some feathers and working on the grip of his snake bow. :) :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7857 on: May 29, 2012, 07:41:28 am »
First shots out of Will's snake bow,it needed a little tip tweeking.My static tipped Osage at first brace. :) :) Looking good,got it tillered out to 51@26 and ready to shoot. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7858 on: May 29, 2012, 07:59:54 am »
Hickory with last coat of sealer and ready to be hauled to the shed. My Osage at brace, :) My drill press back together,just needs every thing tightened and lubed and maybe a little paint,ant sure about the paint yet. :) :) 3 more sets of Turkey wings cleaned/sprayed and put away,that should be it on them for the year. ;) >:D
 A little more tweeking on Will's snake bow,I think I got it this time,we will know next week when he gets back. :) :) We made a Conservative estimate of the Hickory and think it should produce at least 75 bow starves,it is some of the cleanest and straightest I have ever cut, ;D ;D I would call that a productive weekend.Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #7859 on: May 29, 2012, 08:20:01 am »
Looks like another great weekend Pappy.  That is some great looking hickory and should make for some fine staves.  Sure do miss it, and already waiting for next year.