Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4716224 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Life is good
« Reply #2505 on: December 13, 2008, 09:31:06 pm »

Pappy isn't the only one blessed with a "understanding wife", I'm lucky to have one too! :)

Jimmy and I went hunting at a hot spot he has on the Red River. Besides a lot of squirrels, and one coyote I saw...we didn't see any deer. But it was a great morning and I enjoyed getting to spend some time with Jimmy before he has to leave for Afghanistan. I hate that he has to go, but appreciate the sacrifice that he and his family make.

The farm we hunted on has some beautiful views looking down from a high bluff on the Red River. Among the many buck rubs we saw, looked like one buck was trying to work a hophornbeam down to a grain! :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2506 on: December 13, 2008, 09:34:14 pm »
Gotta insert a sneak preview on Pappy's copperhead bow, it's a sweet looking and performing bow! ;)

Greg

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2507 on: December 13, 2008, 09:48:02 pm »

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...Pappy scored again this morning. He and I were hunting inside of 100 yards of each other and this young buck came by me and I...strategically placed an arrow in the ground at just the right spot to divert the bucks route straight by Pappy! ;D  You do believe me don't you...I mean that I purposely shot under (or was it over?) the buck so that it would run by Pappy and give him an opportunity?....I didn't think so! ;D

It was pretty cool concerning some of the equipment he was using...a first for him, but I'll let him tell you about it! ;)
Greg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2508 on: December 13, 2008, 11:58:36 pm »
Sure Greg, we believe you.  ::)  ;D  I've done the same thing a bunch of times. ;D  That was very thoughtful and considerate of you!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2509 on: December 14, 2008, 06:22:55 am »
Beautiful country guys, but wheres the foot of snow :P :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2510 on: December 14, 2008, 07:14:13 am »
What go's around comes around huh Greg.. Sounds like the same thing i did for you behind your house opening weekend :)

Would you believe that river is 40ft deep.. me and Tim tuck his boat way way up that river.. and it stayed 40ft for like 10-15 miles.. i recon it stays that deep.
Mililani Hawaii

Ranger B

« Reply #2511 on: December 14, 2008, 04:18:17 pm »
That is my favorite woodlot to hunt.  It's is a very mature forest with a variety of enormous hard woods.  There are some red oaks that look ancient.  The views from that bluff are awesome and the company on that morning was nice as well.  Hunting is always fun with a buddy.  Here are a few more pictures of that farm. 

Jesse - it gets much more shallow.  We are about 2 miles south of Port Royal and I waded it a 1/2 mile south and it's about waist deep.

That buck rubbed two HHBs.  He must want a bow...

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #2512 on: December 14, 2008, 05:38:14 pm »
Thanks for sharing the stories and pictures.  Your country is so different from ours.  It was minus 30 degrees below this morning. Really like the picture of Three "Bow Hunters" and especially the little doll with a perfect outfit!!  Watcher
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2513 on: December 15, 2008, 05:36:57 am »
Had another great weekend,I got the grip on the Osage and that was about it for bow work.We had a meeting Sat. morning so got to see a lot of good friends,also Sat morning hunt went well.
I killed a 104lb. spike,All are good but the special part was I got to use the arrow Shanon[Sawfiler]
gave me a couple of week ago while he was down hunting with us.It was one of his Cain arrows with a napped head made out of the bottom of an Aunt Jamima bottle.It worked great,the deer
went about 150 yards.Of course we ate good and a whole lot of bull going on.Here are some pictures of the weekend.Life is good. :) Shannon also sent me and Greg one of his scrappers with
covers,they work great. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2514 on: December 15, 2008, 05:41:08 am »
Getting supper ready for Sat. night,The spike,It is a shame how far we have to drag deer.See the Kobota in the back ground,Greg wanted to know if I could get a little closer. ;D
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2515 on: December 15, 2008, 05:51:13 am »
I also got to use one of Sawfilers knifes,I got one at the Classic and he seemed upset that I hadn't used it,it was so pretty ,now it is bloody. ;) :) Greg took a bunch of pictures of my new bow ,I will post them on the bow forum.Also Greg didn't stay to eat ,so he took a plate to go.Grant[castiron]
took up his slack. All in all a great weekend,hope yall had a good one also. :) On ya there is a picture of the cain and glass tip,the head is still in good shape,can't say the same for the cain. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #2516 on: December 15, 2008, 08:02:26 am »
What go's around comes around huh Greg.. Sounds like the same thing i did for you behind your house opening weekend
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing Jesse!  ;) I'm really glad it worked out the way it did, Pappy got to take a deer with a knapped point given to him by a good friend...can't hardly get any better then that! :)
Greg

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2517 on: December 15, 2008, 10:27:42 am »
Who would have thought Aunt Jamima was a deer hunter :o 8)   
  It's about time you got a little blood on that knife, it won't hurt it!
Man, looking at all those pictures of that food makes my belly growl. Looks like Grant was on his toes again this weekend.
 If you keep the cover on those scrapers, they last a looong time before you have to resharpen them and those covers work well for draw knifes and rasps too.  I'll try to bring some more of that with me next time I'm down.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2518 on: December 15, 2008, 11:08:06 am »
Nice story and deer Pappy! Sounds like Greg at least gets the assist for the slam dunk :D. You guys have definitely got it figured out down there. Thanks for sharing, Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2519 on: December 15, 2008, 12:29:03 pm »
Thanks Tracy,ya I will give him an assist,Shanon I would be proud to hunt with them
heads anytime,and by the way I done the venison,Grant took care of Friday night,he got the day off Sat. ;) ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good