Main Discussion Area > Primitive Skills

Life is good

<< < (4056/4056)

Pappy:
Yes Eddie we were in a new area Rawah wilderness area, very rough terrain , lots of beetle kill, it is 40 mile south of Laramie WY. on the east side of the divide in CO.. I don't do food plots so no worry there, ;) not sure why, maybe the dry weather or just maybe the year but the mass is very scattered, a few white oaks but not many, a few more red oaks and some persimmons here and there, a few trees loaded but most nothing at all, just have to put in some boot work and fine the ones that are putting out. We will see but usually with years like this it is a good year, the deer have to move to fine food, last year they could stay in 1 spot and get all they wanted. Back to do a little more scouting today then pick a spot for Saturday morning.  ;) :) :)
 Pappy

WhistlingBadger:
There's "in shape," and there's "in elk hunting shape."  This year, I'm just about getting into elk shape, now that the season is mostly over.  ha ha  I didn't make a kill yet but I was able to help my friend, a wheelie bow shooter, score on the bull that blew my stalk on two of his buddies, so that was somewhat satisfying.

Pappy:
Nice WB, at least you got to be a pack mule, yep running them mountains will show you what you are made of, you do all you can do to be ready but nothing like being there. Nice Bull by the way, congrats to him.  :) Just as I suspected the mass in very slim this year, found a couple of persimmons that are dropping and look promising for opening weekend, :) and a couple of white oaks but really haven't starting dropping yet, they should be good in a couple more weeks, also just a few red Oaks that will be good I think later in the season, mid Oct. usually. Things change every year and you just have to roll with the flow. couple more days and we will see. !!!!! I will say I don't do them but this is the kind of year food plots would pay off.  :)
 Pappy

Pappy:
Headed to the cabin this morning for a few days, Deer/Turkey season opens in the morning, looking like rain and lots of it but we will see how it goes, I get caught in the rain at times but don't go out intentionally in it, haven't miss an opening morning in 50+ years but from the looks of the weather this just might be the first.  :-\ We also have the 32nd White tail Classic going on this weekend, we had 11 compound teams of 3 , 9 Traditional teams of 3 and several signals, so decent turn out for it once more, I am sure I will see plenty of deer show up to be weighted and checked in even with the weather, most are good hunters and know how to take deer rain or shine :) it is always fun and always some good eating and fellowship to go along with it, along with lots of stories. ??? I am staying until Tuesday so hope to have some good pictures of the fun on my return. ;) Hope yall have a good one also. Life is Good. ;) :)
 Pappy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version