Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4835885 times)

Offline chamookman

Re: Life is good
« Reply #20265 on: September 20, 2024, 04:55:24 am »
Glad to hear, that You had a safe Hunt ! Can't wait for pics and stories.  (=) Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #20266 on: September 21, 2024, 12:10:19 am »
Love a good hunting story  (-P

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20267 on: September 22, 2024, 09:13:41 am »
Our camp set up, very nice and confontable place to rest up, the area was very rough and steep so no spike camp for us this year, we hiked in and out each day, put a lot of miles on trying t figure the Elk out, 11 to 14 miles a day, it was tough on this old man. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20268 on: September 22, 2024, 09:17:30 am »
After 4 days of searching we finely found the Elk, had a very close encounter with a nice 5x5, he came in just like he was supposed to , had him at 23 yards but bad angle , he stood and looked for the call but just wouldn't close the gap our get broad side, then he just slipped away, very exciting but no cigar. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20269 on: September 22, 2024, 09:20:59 am »
They also had a fire band so we had to use the fire ring, it worked great for a nice fire and also cooking, one thing for sure we ate good, :) back strap and venison brats almost every night, just no fresh Elk steak. ??? ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20270 on: September 22, 2024, 09:31:17 am »
Only cold enough for a fire in the tent 1 night, it was warm and very windy, we stayed on the Elk a couple of days and had some close encounters but as the second weekend came also the Muzzy loaders, fist 6 days we had the mountain to our self but the 2nd week it looked like opening weekend of gun season in Tennessee, lots of orange and lots of  out fitters with horse trains heading in, it for sure changed everything ??? ::) ;). Don't begrudge the gun hunters they have the same right as we do, but just don't like hunting with them, they hunt totally different We plan on it again next year but will go a week earlier so we don't have to deal with them. Had a great time in some beautiful country and feel Blessed to still be able to get out and still do it. Hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #20271 on: September 22, 2024, 06:19:53 pm »
Sounds like a good trip. Agree about the gun hunters, that’s to bad. Much prefer hunting alone regardless of how they’re hunting. To many people will put game on edge or probably with elk run them over a mountain or two.. Still awesome for you to get to go. Always wanted to go but never got the chance.  Maybe elk steaks next year.. 
nice looking wall tent too

Offline chamookman

« Reply #20272 on: September 23, 2024, 04:54:49 am »
Great looking Camp ! To bad You didn't take one, buy We know that's not what it's all about! Just being Country like that and sharing it Friends and Family is good for the Soul. Thanks Pappy  (=) - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20273 on: September 23, 2024, 09:00:08 am »
Yep very true Bob, just glad to be able to still get out and ramble.  :) Now to get ready for deer/turkey season here in Tennessee.  ;) :) Got about 8 stands to check and see how the mass crop is doing, been very dry so expecting it to be scattered this year, just the way I like it  ;), last year every nut and fruit tree in the woods was loaded which makes hunting tougher for sure. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20274 on: September 24, 2024, 12:06:28 pm »
Glad you had a good hunt, Pappy, can't get them every time. Were you hunting north of the Meeker area or someplace different? I'd like to get back up there at least one more time.
Hoping to see y'all soon. We're try to get stands situated down here in SC and it's looking like the mast crop is going to be spotty this year and it's tough for everybody trying to plant food plots. The Army caterpillars keep mowing them down.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20275 on: September 25, 2024, 08:53:47 am »
Yes Eddie we were in a new area Rawah wilderness area, very rough terrain , lots of beetle kill, it is 40 mile south of Laramie WY. on the east side of the divide in CO.. I don't do food plots so no worry there, ;) not sure why, maybe the dry weather or just maybe the year but the mass is very scattered, a few white oaks but not many, a few more red oaks and some persimmons here and there, a few trees loaded but most nothing at all, just have to put in some boot work and fine the ones that are putting out. We will see but usually with years like this it is a good year, the deer have to move to fine food, last year they could stay in 1 spot and get all they wanted. Back to do a little more scouting today then pick a spot for Saturday morning.  ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #20276 on: September 25, 2024, 05:55:47 pm »
There's "in shape," and there's "in elk hunting shape."  This year, I'm just about getting into elk shape, now that the season is mostly over.  ha ha  I didn't make a kill yet but I was able to help my friend, a wheelie bow shooter, score on the bull that blew my stalk on two of his buddies, so that was somewhat satisfying.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20277 on: September 26, 2024, 08:57:45 am »
Nice WB, at least you got to be a pack mule, yep running them mountains will show you what you are made of, you do all you can do to be ready but nothing like being there. Nice Bull by the way, congrats to him.  :) Just as I suspected the mass in very slim this year, found a couple of persimmons that are dropping and look promising for opening weekend, :) and a couple of white oaks but really haven't starting dropping yet, they should be good in a couple more weeks, also just a few red Oaks that will be good I think later in the season, mid Oct. usually. Things change every year and you just have to roll with the flow. couple more days and we will see. !!!!! I will say I don't do them but this is the kind of year food plots would pay off.  :)
 Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20278 on: September 27, 2024, 08:02:06 am »
Headed to the cabin this morning for a few days, Deer/Turkey season opens in the morning, looking like rain and lots of it but we will see how it goes, I get caught in the rain at times but don't go out intentionally in it, haven't miss an opening morning in 50+ years but from the looks of the weather this just might be the first.  :-\ We also have the 32nd White tail Classic going on this weekend, we had 11 compound teams of 3 , 9 Traditional teams of 3 and several signals, so decent turn out for it once more, I am sure I will see plenty of deer show up to be weighted and checked in even with the weather, most are good hunters and know how to take deer rain or shine :) it is always fun and always some good eating and fellowship to go along with it, along with lots of stories. ??? I am staying until Tuesday so hope to have some good pictures of the fun on my return. ;) Hope yall have a good one also. Life is Good. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good