Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4711281 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #19860 on: January 23, 2024, 09:28:31 am »
Ya I have enjoyed it while it lasted, rain for the next 3 days and up in the 60's so all this will be gone and probably leave behind a huge sloppy mess, ??? O well at least I have gravel in the work shop.  ;) :) back to more like Tennessee weather.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19861 on: January 23, 2024, 05:47:10 pm »
As cold as you got you might notice that the frost heaved up the gravel and it gets really soft until it settles.

We have frost laws. When the frost is coming out we are very restricted to weight and speed.

But our frost can go down several feet on bare ground. Yours will probably settle a lot faster than ours

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19862 on: January 24, 2024, 09:28:39 am »
I hear ya BJ, it dose get sloppy after weather like this, believe it or not a good hard rain really helps and we are getting some of that the next few days, you would think it would make it worse but it don't. I just try and stay off of it as much as I can until it settles.  :) Some good warm sunshine would help also. ;) :) We need to be cutting fire wood but I think for the next few days I will just work in the shop to keep from tearing up the woods. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19863 on: January 26, 2024, 08:51:07 am »
Heading to the cabin for a couple of days, the rain has stopped for now,Jesse is coming in and we are going to try a little brain tanning, I have 1 hide almost ready for final smoke if I can get the last bit of moisture out of it and he is staring one when he arrives. I also have 3 knives well on the way 2 neck knives and 1 a little larger so plan on trying to get them finished. Also want to shoot my yew bow some ,got it tillered and as expected missed weight, :( came in 41@26 so will probably finish it and give to a lady or younger kid, Should be fun weekend. Hope yall have a good one also.  :)
Life is Good. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19864 on: January 28, 2024, 07:40:30 pm »
What a good weekend, rained most of it but had a roof to be under so worked out and got a lot done in the shop. Jesse showed up for the weekend along with lots of friends just wanting to get out of the house after a long wet week. Spent most of the weekend tanning hides and working on some knives, also in between the rain got to shoot my new Yew bow, missed the weight because of the splinter it got in the sap wood layer and had to work it down a couple of rings to get that out , then put rawhide on it. Came in 41@26 but shoots very fast and smooth for that weight so I was pleasantly surprised . A few pictures. ;) :) Started out with my 2 neck knives, got them tapered/heat treated and tempered also got my Yew bow ready to do some shooting.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19865 on: January 28, 2024, 07:47:02 pm »
Got my handles ready for my neck knives and also got another bigger knife in the works. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19866 on: January 28, 2024, 07:50:23 pm »
Large knife bladed finished and handle glued up, then time for some hide work, I have my big hide almost finished and Jesse is working on a couple more for him.Deer steaks for lunch.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19867 on: January 28, 2024, 07:51:35 pm »
Brain tanning and some hide smoking. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19868 on: January 28, 2024, 07:53:33 pm »
Handles all glued up and ready to finish, then rain stopped for a bit and got out to shoot my Yew bow, shoots really well. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19869 on: January 28, 2024, 07:56:14 pm »
My big hide dry/soft and ready to final smoke. Putting the finish on my knives, 5 or 6 coats of satin polly.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19870 on: January 28, 2024, 07:59:41 pm »
Finish on my bigger knife, Also made a stand for it, walnut base with deer antler and cow horn stop. My girls after a long day. 1 of Jesse's hides almost ready.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19871 on: January 28, 2024, 08:00:57 pm »
A little music after a long weekend, hope yall had a good one also. Life is Good.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #19872 on: January 29, 2024, 06:27:12 am »
Like the profile on the Yew Bow, too bad You had to do more work on it.  (=) Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19873 on: January 29, 2024, 09:46:17 am »
YA I hated that also Bob, but we all know how it goes with self bows, at least it came out a good shooter if not a hunting weight bow, many around here hunt with 40 lbs but that's just a little light for me.  ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19874 on: January 31, 2024, 08:33:33 am »
Headed to the cabin for a few days, little early this week  :) Rocky and Kevin are coming in today from MI. so should be a fun few days, they are headed to the SCI convention in Nashville this weekend but going to spend a day or 2 just hanging out with me. :) I am sure we will eat good and have some good laughs and fellowship around the fire, the weather is supposed to be beautiful !!!   Hope yall have a good one also.Life is Good. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good