Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4713789 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #19620 on: September 14, 2023, 06:51:20 am »
Going through the tunnel , 1.6 miles long, very cool. Then on the first day we went out to get use to the air and stretch our legs, about a mile from camp we found bear sign, he was eating on a big patch of blue berry's , beautiful country as you can see. :) We always get there a day or 2 early before season to acclimate to the thin air. We base camp at about 8200 feet and hunt between 900/10,500 so the air is thin. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19621 on: September 14, 2023, 06:54:12 am »
They even have some small oaks, our first morning out we ran in elk, small bull got close but not legal, and a cow that came in but winded me before she got into range. ???
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19622 on: September 14, 2023, 06:56:39 am »
Our base camp set up and then view from spike camp about 3 miles up the mountain. Base camp was like being at home, spike camp not so much. ;) :) Came a storm the 2nd day with hail and hard rain, had to trench around the base camp tent. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19623 on: September 14, 2023, 07:00:54 am »
Stayed at the spike camp 3 days, it was a beautiful view, after 3 days the game was scarce so we decided to move to a different area closer to the big lakes.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19624 on: September 14, 2023, 07:03:59 am »
 My little buddy I seen every time I set in this spot. :) he was busy all the time. ;)We moved and hunted on a big swamp for a couple of days, seen some cows and a lot of mule deer but no tags for mule deer this year, that's the way it always seems to go. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19625 on: September 14, 2023, 07:11:55 am »
Then we was chasing elk to the top, got one bull 12 yards but no clear shot for me, we decided to let them settle down and bed late morning and a big bore came feeding by, Beau moved forward and I stayed put, we wasn't sure which way he was going to go, of course it went toward Beau but at least I got to watch and guide his steps and he moved forward, he couldn't see the bear and I could so I gave him signals on when to move. Came in to 25 and Beau took care of the rest. Dead bear in the bushes, ran about 70 yards. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19626 on: September 14, 2023, 07:16:52 am »
Really nice bear, we estimated it at about 350/400 lbs. Huge head, then the long pack out . We had bear steaks for supper and they were great.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19627 on: September 14, 2023, 07:24:22 am »
We took the next morning off but that afternoon went out and as luck would have it Beau again got the shot.Nice elk 5x5 then the work really started, it was about 3 1/2 miles in so we had a long night, got back to camp about 2am the next morning. I have got to go to the cabin to work on meat and clean up but will post some more pictures of the fun in the morning.Hope you enjoy, very proud of my boy, he hunts hard and works hard in and around camp, be hard to find a better hunting partner :) Life is Good.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stoker

« Reply #19628 on: September 14, 2023, 09:34:21 am »
Congrats on a very successful hunt. Packing a big animal in the dark is a huge job. Good memories.
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19629 on: September 14, 2023, 10:43:19 am »
Excellent hunt is beautiful country. Congratulations to both of you and especially to Beau. 5x5 and a bear. Well done!   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19630 on: September 14, 2023, 03:45:04 pm »
Sounds like a great trip! Congratulations, Beau! The good Lord must be saving that big Trophy mount for you, Pappy.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BrianS

« Reply #19631 on: September 14, 2023, 05:56:23 pm »
WOW! What a adventure! Congratulations to your son. Thank you for taking the time to post the great pictures!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19632 on: September 14, 2023, 06:57:09 pm »
Thanks guys, we got the Elk all worked up and packaged and plan on the bear tomorrow, lots of winter meat for sure. Looking forward to working up the bear we had steaks from it in the mountains and they were great, don't know why anyone wouldn't want it. Funny you are required to bring out all the elk meat but only the head and hide on a bear, makes no sense to me. ??? :-\ Got a few more pictures, excuse me if some are the same, I had my regular cameras going and of course my phone. Our base camp.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19633 on: September 14, 2023, 06:59:00 pm »
More like the Hilton. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19634 on: September 14, 2023, 07:02:06 pm »
Venison steak for our first supper.  :)Done a lot of cooking on the fire as well and frying in the skillet.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good