Author Topic: Life is good  (Read 4722746 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Life is good
« Reply #18705 on: February 24, 2022, 08:49:10 am »
Headed to the cabin and then to Buck Hollow in the morning for the Spring Fling, should be fun. Rocky and Kevin and maybe Steve from Elm Hall MI.are coming in today to the cabin , we will hang out there tonight and head to the shoot in the morning, always fun with them boys. Got a pot of venison Chile going for supper and hope I can get a good fire going, mighty wet here right now and more rain today, I bet I can get a fire though  ??? ;) :) :) Hope yall have a good one also. Life is Good.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18706 on: February 27, 2022, 05:13:17 pm »
Had a great weekend, got a little done in the shop Thursday before my buddies rolled in and a few things done after getting back from the Buck Hollow shoot. The shoot was great, weather was pretty bad but as always we find a way to have fun all the same. A Few pictures. a few tools made for my new flint lock, a pick/flint repair tool/small funnel and of course had to start a flat powder horn.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18707 on: February 27, 2022, 05:17:16 pm »
Cleaning /boiling and flatting the horn, Shawn showed up for some bow work.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18708 on: February 27, 2022, 05:22:39 pm »
Had to get a good fire for my buddies coming in.  :) :)Had to boil the horn  twice and then finish the flatting with dry heat to get it like I wanted it, also boiled the end to fit the end plug, it is a dog wood burl off the farm I have had for years, beautiful wood and very hard. Sally just hanging out close to the fire.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18709 on: February 27, 2022, 05:28:32 pm »
Rocky/Kevin/Steve and Stuart came if from ElmHall MI. We spent the night at the cabin ,had a big supper and headed to the shoot Friday morning. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18710 on: February 27, 2022, 05:33:13 pm »
Also DaveO /Eddie Parker/Brother Dan and the boys from Cloverdale meet us there, great fun and good course. I shot pretty well for and old man and held my own. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18711 on: February 27, 2022, 05:39:23 pm »
Got back Saturday evening and done a little more work on my horn, also had a friend[Darell] give me a couple of blades, the small one is from and old file I had gifted him months ago, nice blades so i guess I am back in the knife works. :) WillH showed up working on a very snaky/nasty stave and even though he don't need my help he wanted me to watch and advise , we both have worked a bunch of nasty stuff so I guess 2 heads are better than one. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18712 on: February 27, 2022, 05:43:48 pm »
Got the stave pretty much floor tillered and around all the really bad stuff, always something with one like this but ready to move a head with heating and straightening , we will see how it goes, :-\ sometimes they work out great and sometimes they don't. Hope yall had a good one also.
Life is Good. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #18713 on: February 28, 2022, 04:02:05 am »
Looks like a FUN Weekend  (SH) - good Crew for Sure ! like the Flat Horn. Thanks as always Pappy !
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18714 on: February 28, 2022, 08:06:19 am »
You are welcome Bob and yes it was a good time. My best shot of the day[steel turkey] blind hog finds an acorn now and then  ;) and the next generation, passing it on, got to love this one. Tony is a very good shot and very good self bow builder and I think this gal will follow in his foot steps.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18715 on: February 28, 2022, 01:47:02 pm »
Can’t beat the smile on her face.

Thanks for the pictures Pappy. Look forward to seeing what the two heads turn that wiggly stave into.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18716 on: March 01, 2022, 08:29:16 am »
You are right BJ, she is not a very good shot yet, but man was she having fun. ;) I hadn't seen her in almost a year and she came running up, jumped in my arms and gave me a big hug, hard to out do that. :) :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckskinner

« Reply #18717 on: March 01, 2022, 11:34:27 am »
Looks like a heck of a good time, but a steel turkey is just mean...

That stave is something else!  Wouldn't know where to begin, I'm still looking for the opposite in staves.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18718 on: March 02, 2022, 08:15:28 am »
Ya Buckskinner when I first started I couldn't find one straight or clean enough, then after a while i couldn't find one crooked and nasty enough, now i look for pretty straight clean ones most of the time, but once in a while I just get the urge for something nasty, if they work out fine , if not it don't break my heart anymore.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18719 on: March 04, 2022, 08:27:35 am »
Headed to the cabin for a couple of days, beautiful weather here in Tennessee and i have a few projects going in the shop but most of the weekend will be clean and straighten around the place to get ready for our first shoot the 19th of March and start getting things ready for the Classic, been a long winter and lots to do to get prepared. Hope yall have a good one also. Life is good. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good