Author Topic: Selfnock index?  (Read 4205 times)

Offline riarcher

Selfnock index?
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:24:13 am »
Sorry for the learning questions, but....

Since I'm going to be making 2 fletch arrows,,, self nocks,,, and want to keep the stiff side to the bow,,
How does one index the same side each time?
I'd rather feel it than depend on seeing it.
Was thinking maybe adding a bit of quil under the sinew reinforcement to creates a bump of sorts?
I'm sure others have tackled this issue, so figured I'd ask before re-inventing the wheel.  ;)
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: Selfnock index?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 10:44:02 am »
You could put a small notch/nick in one side of the nock so you could feel it with your thumb as you nock the arrow.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:05:25 am »
What I do after wraping the self nock and after sealing it is put a drop of glue(I've used Duco and TBIII) where you want the index and when the glue skins over roll the arrow so the drop hangs down. When it sets it will be a pernounced index that you can feel.
  Some of the old timers would make one side of the nock shorter than the other to be used as an index. I believe the side closest to the bow was the shortest.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline riarcher

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 01:56:22 pm »
Excellent!

Think I'll test all 3.  ;D

Offline scattershot

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 01:53:52 pm »
You can also insert the head of a pin to act as a nock indicator. I have used small brads, too. Just drill the hole and insert the brad and file off the point. If you do this just below the nock, it reinforces the groove, too.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 02:18:15 pm »
For reinforced self nocks you can leave the spline a bit proud on the cock feather side.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Traxx

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 02:43:29 pm »
Im a bit confused by the question as well as the replies.On wood shafts,you need to cut the nock across the ring lines for safety.So...That will orientate the stiff side to the bow,automatically.Also,with a 2 fletch arrow,there is no need for an indexer,as you can nock them either way.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 03:03:55 pm »
Traxx, I use mostly cane and hardwood shoots for my arrows so the stiff side is chosen and that side goes against the bow.   With store bought shafting a reinforced self nock has the spline inserted across the grain so the orientation you mentioned is utilized.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 08:01:55 pm »
HMMM,
All the splined Self nocks i make,i put the spline along the same plane as the grain,because i cut the nock across it.But,with Cane or shoots,you select the stiff side and cut the nock acordingly,Correct?Then,the nock is still cut when a person fletches,with 2 fletch.Still,i dont see the need for an indexer to locate the nock on the string properly.Now with a 3 fletch,i can see it,but the original poster stated he intended to fletch with 2.Am i missing something here still?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 08:11:00 pm »
You should still have the stiff side against the bow even with two fletch. I generally don't index arrows but I have before.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 08:33:39 pm »
Ok Pat,i think i may understand where we are conflicting here.Are you saying,that a cane,or shoot shaft has 1 side stiffer than the other,when oriented with the grain?And that only 1 side can be shot against the bow,even after the nock is established?

Offline riarcher

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 08:41:07 pm »
Im a bit confused by the question as well as the replies.On wood shafts,you need to cut the nock across the ring lines for safety.So...That will orientate the stiff side to the bow,automatically.Also,with a 2 fletch arrow,there is no need for an indexer,as you can nock them either way.

Just recieved a batch of 500 Boos and noticed there is definately only one stiff(er) side. Much more so than what I found on POC, or most other woods.
Once made up I want that stiff side to the window (not away from it) so with a 2 flecth without a mark I could get it bassakwards? I'd rather mark it somehow so I can feel / see it.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 08:47:53 pm »
Gotcha!!!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 09:25:30 pm »
And you were correct, Traxx, about the spline being cut with the grain and not across it.  ;D That way the grain runs against the bow. Because of runoffs in the grain you don't always necessarily have the stiffer side against the bow but If possible that is the ideal way to situate it.
  Generally there is a stiffer side with shoots and probably because of environmental conditions. With cane, like with dowel shafts, there are two possibilities and those are the sides where the small shoots come off the nodes. They alternate from one side to the other along the cane but one side is generally stiffer than the other.
  A shoot and cane arrow will shoot at almost any orientation in most cases but one side will shoot better than the others and that is the stiffer side and it goes against the bow.
Now, I'm getting confused!  ???  ::)

Offline riarcher

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 09:37:37 pm »
 ;D ;D ;)