Author Topic: Low density, low ring count yew (pictures added)  (Read 10262 times)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Low density, low ring count yew (pictures added)
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:56:04 pm »
So I made a bow yesterday out of some Pennsylvania yew. It's made from about a 3" diameter branch, 58" ntn and pulling about 53#@28"  Pretty neat, it has sapwood on both sides of the grip.  1 1/2" wide from the fades for 10" and then tapering straight to 1/2" tips. I didn't reduce the sapwood at all, just used the first ring under the bark.  It started out with about 3" of natural reflex and finshed out with about 1 1/2" all and all I'm pretty impressed with this wood, as I wasnt expecting much after reading some peoples reviews of low density yew.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:15:46 am by Ryano »
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Low density, low ring count yew
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 02:06:41 pm »
Yup, I think a lot of people express opinion about low ling count Yew when they have never tried it.
Where's the pics?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Ryano

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 02:44:45 pm »
No pictures yet. It's still pretty rough, fat tips and grip and all and I'm still considering recurving the tips a little. I made this bow from a stave to shooting bow in a couple hours.....

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 02:45:32 pm »
 Ryan, I'd have a hard time complaining about any kind of yew. I think sometimes that when we talk about how good "high ring count yew" is,  that some assume that low ring count must not be good and that just simply isn't the case.
  Yew is a great bow wood period! Low or high ring count.  Where most bow woods are ring specific and you have to have one or the other that just isn't the case with yew.
 Can't wait to see another one of your great bows. ;)

radius

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 03:12:50 pm »
Keenan, i do remember you telling me the high elevation stuff is superior...when i get up into the coastal mountains of BC i'll bring some down and see what it can do.  Question for you:  you live on the east side of the Rockies right?  Is it still called Pacific Yew?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 03:25:35 pm »
No pictures yet. It's still pretty rough, fat tips and grip and all and I'm still considering recurving the tips a little. I made this bow from a stave to shooting bow in a couple hours.....
A couple of hours? Are you slacking on the job again O:).
De;
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 04:38:52 pm »
Low density yew most likely is a better wood than most other woods; maybe not for a 150# warbow...
Looking foreward for pics!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 06:12:23 pm »
Radius, I live in Central Oregon on the East side of the Cascades not the Rockies. So yea it's still Pacific yew.  I have found that more then just elevation, that the yew that is on the eastern slope is far tighter rings even down in lower elevations. Mainly due to less moisture.  As I said before I would deem all yew excellent bow wood.  ;D

Ryan, those dimensions sound like the perfect ambush bow scenario. Really looking forward to seeing thus one ;)

radius

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 06:14:15 pm »
Keenan, my bad:  i dunno why i thought you lived over in Montana where Oldbow gets his yew. 

eastern slopes you say:  okay i will take that advice next time i go out yew hunting.  Well, not next time!  Cuz i'm back to the graveyard tomorrow...

Offline Ryano

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 11:32:18 pm »
Thanks Keenan. I'm amassed at how springy this stuff seems.  Seems to heat correct pretty well to. I though yew was supposed hard to heat bend ?  ???

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 01:08:12 am »
I was laways a big adocate of high density yew. I recently made a low density self bow and am happy with it. I have seen some low density pacific grown yew I wasn't happy with, I guess just like any other wood it varies from piece to piece. Was this yew from a private yard or wild? Steve

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 01:09:53 am »
Ryan, Yew heat bends very well and yes it's very springy. Yet be the carefull, you are used to working hard woods and it's easy to get carried away with wood removal on softer wood such as yew.  ;) Don't forget harder tip overlays if your going to use fast flight string ;)

Offline Ryano

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 01:14:33 am »
 ;D One of the members of my archery club's yard.  He told his wife he had to prune a few limbs that were hanging out over the house.....  :D  ;)

Will do Keenan. Just got done flipping up the tips a little. Strange one limb went with very little heat or pressure the other one didnt want to bend period.... I managed to get it down on the form but pulled a small crack on the belly on the tough side. Hopefully the tips are still thick enough to remove this.... :)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 02:10:10 am »
...can't wait to see it Ryan   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline shamus

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 08:39:57 am »
agh, no pics!