Author Topic: tb3 for sinew job  (Read 14245 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: tb3 for sinew job
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 10:54:37 pm »
Yep...and when I am done...it's off to the Refrigerator ...if only a Week or so between Jobs...or the Deep Freeze with it....just the way it is...really Handy....... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 11:08:53 pm »
go to the asain food market and  get you some fish bladders uncooked,boil them down and make  some of the best glue there is for sinew backed bows..degrease the sinew with acetone right before you dip in the glue ..also degrease the bow  for the best results..i havent had one lift the sinew using the method yet ..ive got several bows in different stages.. as soon as i can i  will post some pics ....james

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 12:55:55 am »
James, how many fish bladders for enough glue for a 60" bow with 3 layers of sinew?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 03:30:41 pm »
best thing about hide glue, is you can throw all your sinew scraps in and boil it down to more glue.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Carle1953

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 06:54:21 pm »
Knox gelatin works really well for hide glue.  I have used it in sinew backing and it works really well.  I use one packet to about a half cup water.  I also use one of the mini crock pots (little dipper) for my glue pot and it works great.  One thing I did find out on sinew backing is not to get your sinew too warm in your soaking pot.  It turns the sinew into rubber bands and is hard for me to get it to lay down like I want.  How long are some people letting their sinew cure on the bow?  I really enjoy these discussions

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 08:25:32 pm »
pat the fish bladders usually come packaged.. most  look like and are the size of large chiccarones or large pork rinds  ,,sometimes the uncooked ones are very hard to find here in the usa.. 2 large bladders will be enogh to size the bow  back several times,,as far as the amount for the sinew,,for me it depends on several factors..the amount of sinew,number of courses, and the coarseness of the sinew,and whether its back or leg tendons..  james

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 11:11:19 pm »
James
You suggested to clean the sinew with acetone.  Do you dip it or just wipe the bundle off in an acetone soaked rag?  I've only sinewed one bow (cedar)  and degreased it with Acetone, would you suggest the same for Osage?
Traverse City, MI

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 12:48:54 am »
yes dip the sinew bundles prior to  dipping in glue.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 01:52:21 am »
James, I'll see if I can find some first. If I can I will boil them(?) and play with what I get  to see how it is.   Do you have another source of good hide glue for a simple osage recurve or straight limb bow (60" or less)with 2 or 3 courses of leg or back sinew? I have both.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2010, 09:45:52 am »
Most thrift stores have a crock pot or two for sale. I bought one for my last sinew job, cost $2 at a Salvation Army thrift store.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 11:46:36 am »
great idea about the crock pot. I already have one too. I think I might get going on a sinew job soon. Would tb3 be ok for rawhide? It doesn't have the same properties as sinew. Just curious.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 09:36:03 pm »
Pat...email Keith (you know the wannabe Yooper)....oh......Islandpiper....he has some of the Best Luthiers Hide Glue I have ever used....really quality stuff......
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:06:58 am by Justin Snyder »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 02:17:21 am »
I just did my first sinew job.  I used the knox gelatin.  It worked great and was super easy and cheap.  I used the bottom of a broken coffee pot for the heat source.  I just put the glue in a bowl and set it on the heating pad.  It was the perfect temp.  It was hot, but not hot enough to burn my fingers.  I also used acetone on the bow, but did not use it on the sinew.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 04:52:46 am »
Does the acetone change the handling properties of the sinew at all?  I've noticed in the past that leather forms easier if wet with alcohol instead of water.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 10:12:31 pm »
acetone will not change the sinew,it will remove a large percentage of any oils or grease that may be in or on the fibers.after a couple of  dips in the acetone the sinew will have a clean and crisp feel,  the acetone will evaporate almost immediately.once dipped in the glue, the fibers will become loose  and suple