Author Topic: tb3 for sinew job  (Read 14243 times)

Offline mox1968

tb3 for sinew job
« on: February 07, 2010, 09:28:21 am »
i know its supposed to be hide glue but would tb3 work for sinewing the back of a bow and if so would it be a waterproof finish??

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: tb3 for sinew job
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 10:45:57 am »
I have used TB2, worked OK but wasn't completely waterproof.

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:52:46 am »
I have used it with ok results. It is water pruff but does not shrink when drying as with hide glue to add additional reflex.   kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 10:56:26 am »
I used TBIII, with mixed results, I'd say thin it with some water...it gets a bit sticky & damn messy.
The bow snapped on the tiller rig and the sinew looked slightly dry.

It was prob poor workmanship and insufficient sinew (two thin layer if I recall), but when I get to do another sinew backed bow I shall use hide glue as I feel it will be easier to work with as it can be softened/thinned/reworked more easilly.
BTW If anyone is looking for a thermostatically controlled glue pot, I bought a 1L Mini Deep Fryer...very cheap (£11.99) and works beautifully.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline FVR

• http://www.angelfire.com/ga/alionatemysister/
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 10:58:09 am »
TB3 will not maximize the performance of the sinew.  If you want to sinew but don't have hide glue, go to your local Wally World and buy some Knox Gelatin.............mix it, heat it, and you have a refined hide glue.
Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim.
Mountain got it....

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 11:03:44 am »
I've heard good reviews for using it to apply snakeskin or rawhide over a conventional sinew job.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 11:57:26 am »
BTW If anyone is looking for a thermostatically controlled glue pot, I bought a 1L Mini Deep Fryer...very cheap (£11.99) and works beautifully.

What a great idea - thank you! ;D
Gordon

Lombard

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 12:34:06 pm »
Did you moisten your sinew in warm water before soaking it in TB and applying? Try that, and take note of the result.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 12:42:12 pm »
On my sinew backed bow "Elkie" I used two layers of sinew hide glue and the third I put down with TBIII for the waterproofing properties. I added snake skin over that using TBIII and a thin coat of TBIII over the skin. Then a few coats of Tru-Oil and satin poly spray over the Tru-Oil only to cut the shine.
  The sinew, hide glue lifted at one tip after many shots so I cleaned under it and used TBIII for the repair and it held well. I gave the bow to Kenneth(Little John) and the sinew lifted again in another spot but I'm not sure if or how he may have fixed it.
  My next sinewed bows will all be done with hide glue but I may still use TBIII for moisture prorection over the sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 12:49:02 pm »
TB isn't truly water proof. They use the term very loosely. It is very water resistant. You are going to wind up sealing the bow anyway to protect the sinew and the wood. So why not get the most out of the sinew by using hide glue or Knox gelatin, then after it is fully cured seal the bow.

Another thing to think about is by applying with a water resistant, or even worse a water proof glue, how is the sinew going to fully cure. If the outside of the glue dries before all the moisture has left the sinew, it could take a really long time to fully cure.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 12:57:51 pm »

What a great idea - thank you! ;D

Been using this Mini Crock Pot for Years...keeps glue at 140-145 degrees all day long.......

And in My Off The Wall way of Thinking....If You are going to spend this many Hours Planning and processing Sinew...why cut the Corner and use anything else Besides what makes the best of the Sinew?? I would not waste my Time with TB3...I love the Stuff....but not for a time consuming Sinew Job...just to be faster....but reap less Benefits in the end....JMO

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 01:01:17 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mox1968

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 04:50:50 pm »
true after all that rippin and stripping its got to be hide glue,thanks you have made my decision for me.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 10:18:50 pm »
I like that crock pot idea.  My wife just volunteered her mini crock pot.  That is a much easier than my hotplate, double boiler configuration. 
El D- does yours have temp settings or is it on/off only.
Traverse City, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 10:35:52 pm »
Rick...the one I have only Heats to 140 degrees...which is about perfect for Hide Glue
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 10:41:21 pm »
Rick...the one I have only Heats to 140 degrees...which is about perfect for Hide Glue
Cool deal,  it sounds like the one I just liberated from my wife.  I have a sinew job pretty soon and this will be a much simpler set up.
Traverse City, MI