Author Topic: sinew preparation  (Read 2705 times)

Offline mox1968

sinew preparation
« on: February 05, 2010, 07:32:02 am »
i have some back sinew that ive been trying to dry out,not easy in this damp weather!!!!so far it has taken a deep red brown colour and is fairly dry but still quite pliable if you bend it.is this what im looking for or should it dry out to being more a brittle crunchy type of texture??
thanks
john

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: sinew preparation
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:50:34 am »
It never gets really hard and brittle.It will just get an amber color ,then you can separate it with your fingernail. I just put in a fairly dry place and it will dry up in a few days. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 10:29:00 am »
if you can bring it in doors for faster dry...back sinew i do as what pappy said but i also roll it in my hands...deep red brown might be blood in it.but,i think it will hurt it any..john

Offline mox1968

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 03:29:02 pm »
its kinda amber red but when i roll it in my hands it kinda turns whitish would that be right??

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 10:09:19 pm »
yeah,when you work the fibers it will turn white...just like thread..

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 12:27:43 am »
The red will come out with time also.  I have some backstrap from this year and it is a bit pinkish.  The stuff from last year lost all of that color.
Traverse City, MI

Cacatch

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 01:35:46 am »
It shouldn't turn white until you bend it back and forth. If it is white without you bending it, that means it ain't dry in that spot. When it is completely dry, it should be at least somewhat transparent.

CP

Offline mox1968

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 11:38:44 am »
yes thats what i mean if i fold it over it goes white and i suppose you could shine a light threw it now its getting translucent now.should i strip it now or wait a bit longer its kinda bendy like leather now??

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 11:43:48 am »
Roll it in your hands and the fibers should begin to separate. If not, give it a bit longer. Usually it only takes a few days and especially during this dry season inside your house.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC