Author Topic: Identifying American Elm  (Read 2206 times)

Cacatch

Identifying American Elm
« on: February 06, 2010, 03:57:28 am »
So I've really taken a liking to White (American?) Elm...I have permission to go get some in a woods that does have some, but I want to be sure I cut the right stuff. If the leaves were still on, I would know it from other trees by the leaves, but now in the dead of winter with no leaves on, I'm not sure. Does White Elm have any tell-tale signs in the bark? How can I keep from confusing it with Sweetgum or Red Elm for example?

Thanks for any help...

CP

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Identifying American Elm
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:02:47 am »
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Scrub_buck

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:12:07 am »
The bark is somewhat similar to sweetgun, but the fissures between the corky bark are usually not as deep. 

Another great way to tell the difference between sweetgum and elm is the size of the twigs on the outer parts of the limbs.  Sweetgum has a larger twig out to the bud, while elms have a thinner (whip-like) twig.  I know this sounds silly, but there is a very big difference between twig size for the two species and it helped me back in Dendrology class while I was persuing my forestry degree.  If you can ever find a sweetgum and an elm beside one another in the woods ... the twig size out on the branches of the crown will be very obvious.   

Also, look for the leftover gum balls on the limbs to ID sweetgum.  If they have all fallen, it won't help you much.

The twig size in the winter is key though.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 11:40:41 am »
I prefer to cut any whitewood during the growing season when the bark slips. Makes for far less work and a better undamaged back ring. Winter cut whitewood can be a bear to get the bark and cambium off of and especially without damaging what will be the back. So, if you can wait until May or so I think you will be more pleased with the results of your labor.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC