Author Topic: Red oak board, and dry heat  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Aries

Red oak board, and dry heat
« on: February 07, 2010, 03:20:14 pm »
I have a pretty nice red oak board, shaped out into a 67" pyramid bow right now (it is 1/3/4" at the fades and 1/4" at tips), and was considering flipping the tips to pep it up a little. I have only used dry heat on osage so i'm not sure how oak will respond.      also would a red oak board bow take well to having it's belly heat treated?     Thanks guys.. Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

radius

Re: Red oak board, and dry heat
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 03:57:31 pm »
well...last summer i recurved some white oak using heat...but i boiled the tips because dry heat just made the thing break.  even then, it was troublesome and i was forced to put belly underlays through the recurves to hide a few imperfections.  This was 1/4 sawn oak...

i have in the past recurved red oak successfully, but i  think it was plain sawn (i was a noob then) and i used steam.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 04:03:24 pm »
Ty...I have never Heat Treated a Belly on a Bow ...yet...but I can tell you from experience...that Red Oak don't like being Dry Heated and Bent....I have developed a way of Boiling them...I shellac the Tips....boil in water for at least 30 Minutes a side...and I have my Tip Caul set in a Vise near by...when the Limb is done cooking...I hurry to the Caul...clamp the Tip in...and bend slowly till it is a bit further than you want...then let cool...another thing you can do to make sure that if there are any small Cracks is leave you Tips thicker than they will be...so you have room to remove wood...or clamp a thin piece of Metal to the Belly before Bending to control this from happening ...I just leave extra material...it's easier...JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sulphur

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 07:08:25 pm »
red oak + dry heat= dry heaves.  when it breaks you'll be sick.  el destructo's way sounds pretty sound though.

Offline Aries

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 07:34:58 pm »
ok i like the boiling idea so far. i might have made a mistake in that thought though. i have already glued tips on... i used gorilla glue ::). so..   do you think i should expect them to fall off during the boiling process??    i wonder.
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

radius

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 07:39:21 pm »
if you've already glued on the tips, you have a couple options:

1.  take them off and make new ones later

2.  make it a straight bow and next time put the tips on after heat-bending the tips