Author Topic: A failed attempt -- update  (Read 6171 times)

Offline Jesse

A failed attempt -- update
« on: February 05, 2010, 07:28:27 pm »
Well I started with a pre tapered core and glued on a backing no handle riser. It was going to be a simpe longbow with reflex. I put the glue on and got it all wrapped in plastic and then rubber straps.  I had blue tape on both back and belly to prevent extra glu from getting on the bow. Normally I only put tape on the back. Well Anyway I put it in the form and came back in the morning. took it out and realized I lost track of which side was up with the blue tape on both sides and did about the dumbest thing I could have done. >:( I put it in the form backwards and I had glued in deflex instead of reflex ::) ;D Ok so that sucked but I wanted to fix it so I tempered some bamboo and glued it on the belly and forced it back into a reflex shape. When I took it out of the form it was dead straight with maybe just a touch of deflex :( not exactly what I wanted but oh well I cut out the taper, strung it up, and pulled it to 27" It didnt look too bad. A few stiff spots but not bad right off the bat. I unstrung it too work the sides a bit and got disappointed again :( All the deflex was back ??? Must have not let the glue cure good enough or something. Oh well. This one is now in the pile with a few others that didnt quite work out. Cool trying the bamboo belly though. I didnt bother to correct the tiller.  Here it is pulling 70# @ 27"   
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 05:33:19 pm by Jesse-S »
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Cromm

Re: A failed attempt
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:50:55 pm »
For a bad one it looked like a goodie!!!
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 07:54:38 pm »
Here it is after rest. Not horrible but Im not likely to use this bow :)  about 2 1/4" deflexed and it kicks like a mule ;D Im sure that could be fixed with some lightening of the tips but Im just gonna take this one as another lesson learned and move on. :)
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:54:53 pm »
Come on Jesse lets see more pics like braced, unbraced and the one where ya smacked yerself upside the head when ya realized what ya had done >:D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 07:58:18 pm »
The ipe core was from David and I didnt do one bit of tillering on it.
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:00:14 pm »
Come on Jesse lets see more pics like braced, unbraced and the one where ya smacked yerself upside the head when ya realized what ya had done >:D
  :D :D :D It took me a second once I realized but then I just looked at it and laughed :D
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 09:20:37 pm »
 :D :D I'm not laughing at ya Jesse... I'm laughing with ya. That had to suck!
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Rich Saffold

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 11:38:20 pm »
Jesse, If you use TB3 it really needs a few days for the glue to dry out,cure since it puts a lot of moisture into the wood, and its easy for it to take a bad set when pushed before its ready..

Also if you used TB3 you can heat it up and slip off the backing if you with with a knife and re-glue it..

If you used epoxy/Urac then just make the tips smaller,  and use heavier arrows..But I don't think it should beat your shoulder all that much if it gets tuned right..

Rich

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 11:47:00 pm »
Jesse, While making a selfbow recurve once I bent each limb tip in different directions.  ::)  We all have those days when we have other things on our minds and probably shouldn't be working on bows.  ;)   What glue did you use?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 12:18:56 am »
Jesse
I'm thinking of a couple of funny Polish bow making jokes.

(mods. don't worry I'm Polish ;D)
Traverse City, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 12:29:11 am »
Jesse, While making a selfbow recurve once I bent each limb tip in different directions.  ::)  We all have those days when we have other things on our minds and probably shouldn't be working on bows.  ;)   What glue did you use?
:D :D thats awesome Pat I love it :D      yeah this bow fought me in more ways than one.            
           I used smooth on epoxy. "messy stuff"
Rich   The bamboo on the belly is a piece I got from you quite a while ago.    Im not really interested in saving the bow at this point. I can make another easy enough that I like better. :) Im not sure I would intentionally make a bow with an ipe core and a boo belly.  I think the ipe might be better suited for the belly. I would however really like to try a boo back and belly with a lighter core like maple or cherry. Sounds like a good idea to me but I dont know.
Jesse
I'm thinking of a couple of funny Polish bow making jokes.

(mods. don't worry I'm Polish ;D)
Let em rip. I got it coming  :D
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 01:01:55 am »
well since you are scrapping it anyways... why not try to make it a bamboo backed bow instead of a bow with a bamboo belly?  String it backwards and see if it holds together... Might as well...   :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 08:19:16 am »
Josh its bamboo back and belly I do believe ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 09:58:30 am »
well since you are scrapping it anyways... why not try to make it a bamboo backed bow instead of a bow with a bamboo belly?  String it backwards and see if it holds together... Might as well...   :)  -josh

Exactly what I was thinking.......string that sucker the other direction and you got reflex !  :o
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 10:59:41 am »
Sometimes you just gotta laugh. I remember Milo posted pics of a nice static recurve once with the tips bent in opposite directions like Pat said. I'd try stringing it backward, too. Or kerf the tips and recurve them.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.