Author Topic: deer fat  (Read 6522 times)

Offline jturner

deer fat
« on: November 29, 2009, 09:16:51 pm »
Is there any use for deer fat? Can i melt it for patch lube for the muzzleloader? Or will it get to stinkin pretty quick? Just butcherin some deer and thinkin how much we normaly waste on a deer. Tryin to get the most out of them
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline boo

Re: deer fat
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 09:50:45 pm »
deer tallow makes a great patch lube. I mix it with bees wax 50/50 , use it to on my flintlock inside and out for protection and to grease up the moccasins also. 
Boo

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 12:37:05 am »
  You can also render the fat & use it in primitive oil type lamps.  Basically any cup form can be used for a lamp, for the wick you can use cotton, cat tail fluff, or many different types of cordage that are easy to twist up from natural materials.
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:40:50 am »
I rendered down the Back Fat off of two of my deer this Year....I am planning on using it for Waterproofing and Leather Conditioner....hell it smells good enough to cook with....no Gamey Smell at all....in fact I can barely find a Hint of an Odor from it....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 07:58:03 am »
I was told that you could mix bird seed in with it, hang it up and have a bird attractant during the winter months.  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 11:00:37 am »
 I used it to weatherproof a bow I was hunting with in Kentucky. I didn't have time to seal the bow before we took off on the hunting trip. It rained for 6 days while we were there so I rendered the fat down over the camp fire and rubbed in into the wood. It made the water bead up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jturner

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 09:48:55 pm »
Thanks guys i rendered a bunch of it down the cracklins smelled pretty good. I picked up some rocks on lake supierior that have a depression in them used some for bowls think they will make good lamps
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 11:08:06 pm »
Gitchigumi....in my Ancestors tongue.....what part of the Big Girl do You live near?? I was born and raised on Her Shores......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline jturner

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 12:22:26 am »
Im still just a troll. My ma moved to gould city couple years back. Took the kids to see her this summer they never been there so we went to the beach to pick up rocks
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 07:21:55 am »
So You still drove a Ways to get to Superior from Mackinac County! Man Gould City....thats a Small .....Quiet Town....No Businesses....But a Good Place to retire....if I remember right....been through there when I worked for Mears Engineering....doing Topographic Surveys back in the 70's
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 02:07:36 am »

Let's not forget using deer fat for soap...... ;)

Wayne

Offline Bullitt

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 01:41:39 pm »
Just put some out in the suet feeder. The birds love it! If your going to use any for cooking, the kidney fat is the best!
Pretty pure.

Offline riarcher

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 02:55:32 pm »
Tallow for cookin' ?  :o
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island