Author Topic: hmmm, OUCH!  (Read 5713 times)

Offline recurve shooter

hmmm, OUCH!
« on: February 04, 2010, 12:08:46 am »
well i appear to have gotten an ittsy bittsy pice of glass in my eye. this is relatively unpleasent :'(. how do i get it out?

i didnt really know where to put this sence the "anything els" board vanished.  :-\
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: hmmm, OUCH!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:13:22 am »
 The Doctor! If you can see it try to CAREFULLY drag a Q-Tip across to get it out. Be carefull.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 12:17:57 am »
Doctor!!!!  If you leave a bit of it in your eye, it could work its way in deeper and you could find youself in Half eye's company months or years down the road!!!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:46:05 am »
i have had many pieces get into my eys,never actually had one pierce the eye though
when i do get a piece in my eye,i do like mullet suggested

now next time you go to do some knapping
the first thing you should be reaching for are a nice pair of SAFETY GLASSES  ;)
they are cheap,alot cheaper than a glass eye
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 01:07:05 am »
 Glass eyes are a COOL mood breaker when it falls out on the floor at a party, though. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 07:36:53 am »
Glass eyes are a COOL mood breaker when it falls out on the floor at a party, though. ;D

and if ya get bored you can always try knappin it ::)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 08:06:56 am »
Pull your eyelid out and down. Hold it there. This causes your eye to water and will flush evrything to the front.once it does use the the torn end of a paper match to remove the debris.this was what a trauma doc taught me. Be very cautious if the eye feels scratched. Go to a doctor immediately.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 09:58:34 am »
If it's actually stuck in your eye - doctor is about your only option.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 10:23:43 am »
well i guess it was just a really little pice that wasnt verry sharp, cuz it came out over night. scared the snot out of me though. i deffinently got to get me some glasses, cuz that wasnt fun. cant emagine how bad it would suck to have a bigger, sharper pice in there.  :o

thanks guys. i guess thats another one to go along with the mouth-numbing berrys.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 12:08:47 pm »
well i guess it was just a really little pice that wasnt verry sharp, cuz it came out over night. scared the snot out of me though. i deffinently got to get me some glasses, cuz that wasnt fun. cant emagine how bad it would suck to have a bigger, sharper pice in there.  :o

thanks guys. i guess thats another one to go along with the mouth-numbing berrys.  ;D

To parapharse: That which does not kill you makes you stronger.  ;D

Glad you are okay.  I wear contacts, and I get something under a lens about once a year that will scratch my eye.  Not fun, I can sympathize.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 12:17:26 pm »
the good part about a glass eye is, when you are sitting at the dinner table you can pull your glass eye out and drop it in your sisters iced tea when no-one is looking.  although pretty gross and a waste of iced tea....the reaction for such a thing is well worth it.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 12:45:37 pm »
I had my left eye permanantly damaged at 19.  Someone thought it would be a good idea to lite off a quarter stick just behind me and the plastic end cap found its way perfectly into my eye and lodged itself in there.  Boy, was that fun!

They managed to save my eye by a cornea transplant, vitreous fluid transplant (stuff inside the eye), and a silicon rubber band around it to stabilize it, but now I have what they call a scleral shell.  It's like a thick acrylic contact that fits over the eye to make it look 'normal'. 

I basically should be wearing safety glasses to use the toilet!  You never know sometimes things can be explosive...
1’—>1’

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 03:22:58 pm »
I had my left eye permanantly damaged at 19.  Someone thought it would be a good idea to lite off a quarter stick just behind me and the plastic end cap found its way perfectly into my eye and lodged itself in there.  Boy, was that fun!

They managed to save my eye by a cornea transplant, vitreous fluid transplant (stuff inside the eye), and a silicon rubber band around it to stabilize it, but now I have what they call a scleral shell.  It's like a thick acrylic contact that fits over the eye to make it look 'normal'. 

I basically should be wearing safety glasses to use the toilet!  You never know sometimes things can be explosive...

Dang, that sucks.  Episodes like this amaze me though.  Given your description, I never would have thought they could salvage an eye damaged like that.  Wow.

You know with as many close calls as I've had over the years I don't know why I've gotten so lucky.  I finally did start wear safety glasses or at least a sturdy pair of sunglasses more often than not In my mid twenties, but not nearly as often as I should.  Really stupid not to wear them even more.  I've even gotten pretty good at wearing hearing protection and gloves.

Toilette safety glasses?  Now that's funny!  I'm sure there have been some sudden pressure changes coming from my bathroom, but I didn't think I needed safety gear.  Now that you mention it the cats do run for cover every now and again.   ;D

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 03:38:30 pm »
Ha!  Ahhh, toilet humor. 

Safety glasses are a tough thing to always remember.  Even last night, I was cutting up a cow bone for some arrowheads and didn't have them on.  I felt a piece of bone hit my cheek then realized and stopped the saw to get them.  I never realized how common eye injuries were til I had mine.  Then it seems like everyone has a story to tell. 

My personal favorite party trick is to put my shell in my mouth and move it with the tip of my tongue, just peering out of my mouth.  It's always impressed the ladies... 8) ;D
1’—>1’

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 05:19:46 pm »
ok well now i feel  like a real idiot. this morning i thought the thing was gone, but as the day went on my eye started to hurt again, so i told my mom about it. she freaked. checked me outa school and went to the eye doc. pice of glass was right in the middle of my eye. after the 5 minutes of explaining that i did it while flint knapping, and explaining what that is, and yes, ppl still do that, and yes, they are sharp, they got the thing out. now i got antibiotic eye drops, andti inflamitory eye drops,  a "bandaid contact" which is exactly what it sounds like, a contact that works like a bandaid over the scratch on my eye, and of cource, mom got me some saftey glasses.  ;D

shoulda just listened to yall and the girlfriend and went to the doctor in the first place.  :-\
lets just shoot it