Author Topic: durability  (Read 3296 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
durability
« on: February 01, 2010, 07:11:28 am »
2birds made a comment on one of my posts about durability of cooked stone. seems pretty damn strong to me and was wondering what others thoughts were. . ive been in several discussions with others about this including one knapper who said obsidian was garbage and he would never hunt with it because the points break on impact. long story short i told him he was a moron. any way just looking for opinions. if it breaks in the anamal thats a good thing. if it stays together thats a good thing. now if its less durable because you cant shoot it into a tree or doesnt survive hitting the ground,, it aint supposed to to be aimed at those things anyway.  ;D peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline DanaM

Re: durability
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 08:22:15 am »
I think all that matters is it sharp and ya put it where it belongs and if obsidian is so terrible
I wonder how paleoman managed to survive where obsidian was the stone of choice ???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 09:42:04 am »
I concur with that - if ya put it where ya want it then it'll do it's job broken or not. I have overcooked some perd that came out more brittle than obs, it was probably just shy of shattering in the heat but made some nice points anyway. Raw is deffinantly tougher but harder to work and not as pretty.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 12:54:02 pm »
I have had obsidion break going into a hog, judging by the blood on the shaft, at about 3 inches of penetration.  I think it was mostly due to poor design on my part.  It was a large stemmed point.  It broke at the top of the stem when the arrow whips around when it hits.  I switched to side notched and have not had that problem.  I shoot into haybales to check flight, if I made the arrow correctly, it stays together.  Later, in the woods, I have shot them into trees and the ground.  It's called missing.  Unless I hit a rock, which is rare where I hunt, the arrow and the point stays together about 90 percent of the time.  Bill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 09:07:38 pm »
 Almost every High Dollar, gem stone quality Hillsborough or Newnan point you find in Florida are heat treated. And I mean points worth thousands of dollars.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 09:28:49 pm »
Well, obsidian is more brittle and will break more easily, but if that's such a problem then just make them thicker.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 10:27:56 pm »
 I know for sure glass is durable enough for hunting points. I don't see why heat treated chert wouldn't be.  It might not be as tough as unheated, but it'll cut veins and arteries just the same.  I wouldn't recommend going stump shooting with any of them, but deer rib cages ain't as tough as most stumps.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline jamie

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 11:35:21 pm »
had one fella tell me he would never hunt with obsidian cause it was so brittle. said he broke them shooting into hay bales. i said he needs to tune his bow or his arrows or both. said they flew perfectly.......................................out of his 80lb compound.  i walked away.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 11:48:40 pm »
 I have a buddy that killed a beautifull Black Bear in Canada with a real thin Ishi style Obsidian point. No problem, fell over dead in 15 yards.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jamie

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 11:50:01 pm »
biggest buck ive taken  was dropped with a thin obsidian point

waterbury, ct

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 12:45:28 am »
I shot an obsidian point through a pronghorn. It went through the shoulder right above the joint, (before the bone flattened out) broke a rib on the way in and another on the way out. To be fair, pronghorn do have fairly light bones, but you judge for yourself. There is one tiny chip missing from the tip.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 03:18:26 am »
Never have shot anything with  obsidian.  Pretty sure you cant use it here in Idaho, or any stone for that matter.  Justin, looks like it works really good. As long as it cuts it should kill, if enough is cut the result is death which is what is wanted.  Even dull steel will kill, so why wouldnt sharp glass or stone?

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 10:35:35 am »
its illeagle to use anything but steel here.  :-\

i believe that if the last several thousand years dont convince ya, your hopeless anyway.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline billy

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 02:40:58 pm »
I've noticed that my stone points suffer MUCH less damage when they hit an animal as opposed to hitting a tree or rock.  The stone points that have missed my target animal and hit something else suffer MUCH more damage.  The ones that hit animals tend to have a slight nick off the tip, but other than that they are easily repairable and reusable.  The only time I've really damaged a stone point hitting an animal was when I shot a turkey with one 3 years ago.  The point snapped in half...but that was after it had gone thru the body cavity and slammed into the bone on the other side. 

The soft tissue and rather fragile ribs of deer really don't offer much in the way of impediment, so stone points don't suffer nearly as much damage as you might think.  Of course if you shoot them into a granite boulder you'll pulverize them into dust....all the more reason to be sure you can place that arrow accurately.  Do that and stone points will bring down whatever you hit....
Marietta, Georgia