Author Topic: installing field points???  (Read 2612 times)

sakimoto

installing field points???
« on: February 03, 2010, 12:33:19 pm »
Greetings again. I am fairly new to primitive archery. I always shot a compound with sights and aluminum arrow. Just recently I am using a 40lbs hickory longbow and cedar arrows with trade points. You can only do so much target pratice with the trade points. I have never made an arrow with field points. I tried a few days ago and got frustrated because I could not get the field point into the shaft. Is there a tutorial on how to do this. Like I said I am fairly new to primitive archery and I love it! Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sakimoto ;D

Offline Cromm

Re: installing field points???
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 12:47:18 pm »
Are they tapered heads if yes you will need to taper the end of the shaft so the head fits onto it.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 01:20:01 pm »
Also make sure you are putting the correct diameter shaft into your field points.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

sakimoto

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 01:21:09 pm »
I am using cedar shafts that are already straightened. I noticed that the field points are tapered at the end and they almost fit over the point. What I did was started to sand the wood to make the point fit over it, but for some strange reason it would not fit. I guess it is what you said about the tapered end. I will try it again later on in the day and get back to you on the results. Thanks for the information.
Sakimoto ;D

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 02:23:31 pm »
The field points are made to accept a 5 degree taper. You can get a pencil-sharper type taper tool from Three Rivers or Kustom King for a few bucks that will taper a shaft in a few seconds.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 04:45:41 pm »
I don't know what kind of power tools you have, but you might find this interesting.   It shows you how to build a taper jig that will work with a benchtop sander.  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,17608.0.html
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah