Author Topic: Uneven Limb return question  (Read 4986 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Uneven Limb return question
« on: February 01, 2010, 02:32:50 pm »
Hey everyone,

I was recording myself shooting yesterday and when I was watching the video I noticed something funny on my bow when the arrow is released.  I slowed the video down to 10% of the original speed and I noticed my bottom limb returns waaay faster than my top limb.  The bow is the hickory backed hickory bow I made a while back.  The limbs are both the same length but the arrow pass is around 1.5 inches above center.  The tiller on this bow is very even in my opinion so could the height of the arrow pass cause the bottom limb to return sooner than the top or is this just normal?  ???  Like i said before I didn't even notice it until I watched at low speed.   I wish I had a way to post it but I can only play it back at low speed not save it in low speed.  Thanks for looking  any opinions on this will be very helpful...  :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jesse

Re: Uneven Limb return question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 02:47:13 pm »
Does the bow have hand shock?  I suspect a lot of bows are like yours. They're just not filmed and viewed at low speed. Try moving your knock point and film it again. Maybe try three under or something as well to get an idea what it will take to get the limbs to return at the same time.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Josh

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:48:34 pm »
really not much noticeable hand shock to me... I really haven't ever shot a bow besides the ones I make so I wouldn't know any different I guess...  :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 02:52:51 pm »
The lower limb is often shorter than the top, shorter generally means faster...
Maybe tie a small anvil to the lower limb...that'd slow it down a tad :o.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Josh

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 02:54:02 pm »
Thanks Del  ::)  Don't have an anvil...  :)  -josh

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 02:56:45 pm »
I dont think that it would mean a whole lot.  If the tiller is good and it shoots good I dont think I would worry about it.  THe arrow is already gone by the time the limbs return.  May just be your form like Jesse said. 

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline Josh

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 02:59:46 pm »
thanks Tell.   it is really cool watching the video on really low speed cause the string is just a few inches from my cheek the arrow is already 2 feet in front of the bow.  I had no idea about the arrow being that far ahead of the bow on release till now.   :)  -josh

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 04:23:50 pm »
When you draw and release is she rocking in your hand or is the handle pressure even? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Josh

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 04:37:21 pm »
...feels pretty even Jawge.   :)

Offline Josh

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 04:48:00 pm »
i really wish I wouldn't've made the video now just wanted to check my form and followthrugh on my shots... Nothing really feels off with the bow, just surprised me to see the bottom limb coming back so much faster than the top limb...   :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 06:03:16 pm »
Well then don't worry about it.  :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Josh

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 06:33:09 pm »
Well then don't worry about it.  :) Jawge

thanks Jawge!   :)

Offline avcase

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 09:17:59 pm »
Could it be possible that the image on each frame of the video is affected by the way it is scanned into the camera?  I have seen this with still cameras where it scans from top to bottom and makes it look like one limb is ahead of the other.
Alan

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 10:37:21 pm »
Yeah it could be an effect of the video and the frame rate that the camera records at.  I've seen some pretty crazy things that a video can do.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 11:26:01 pm »
Turn the camera upside down and try again?
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson