Author Topic: Forsythia Shafts - two flech  (Read 5118 times)

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Forsythia Shafts - two flech
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:45:44 pm »
Well, almost a year ago I asked if anyone had made any arrows out of forsythia shafts, and it seemed no one who read it had. So I had a few I had cut and this past weekend I got to work on them. They are light but seem to spine fairly well for the weight. SUPER easy to straighten, and it is best not to use too much heat. I scorched them in some places. Had to plug them on both ends with some hickory. Fletched them with turkey secondaries in a two fletch. Cut some trade points from crate banding (love that stuff!!!). Haven't shot them yet. Snow all over and It would be Spring before I could find them again. All in all real nice to work with, with the very little experience I have making my own arrows.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Forsythia Shafts - two flech
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 01:46:48 pm »
Sweet! great looking arrows.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 01:55:09 pm »
Nice arrows!  Those turned out well.  :)  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 02:12:59 pm »
Those came out real nice :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 02:22:50 pm »
Those are great. Thanks for sharing another arrow wood with us.  Let us know how they shoot when you get a chance.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 02:38:07 pm »
Great arrows.  Have any idea what they weigh finished?

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 02:58:21 pm »
Thanks for the comments everyone! I really haven't made but maybe a dozen or so arrows. As for the weight All I have is my reloading scale that only goes to 100 grains so I really don't know. If I were to guess I would say all finished maybe 400gr But I could be way off. I will shoot them as soon as I have the bow finished that they go with. I am making them mostly as a wall hanger to go with a Cherokee d-bow that I'm not quite to the short string with yet, for a guy who wants to hang it in his office.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Postman

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 05:41:58 pm »
Nice -  love the ends of that 2 fletch, and forsythia is everywhere!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 06:05:19 pm »
Thanks for posting! There's a forsythia growing right near my front door!  ;) Might have to try this.
Living a dream...

Offline broketooth

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 06:30:24 pm »
very nice arrows ;D

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 06:34:47 pm »
commadore ...those look great...I wish someone would do a Buildalong on a Two Fletch...I have tried...but I always mess up the Feathers...can't seem to get them cut and ground to fit ...I do something wrong..... :'(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 07:32:47 pm »
...I do something wrong..... :'(

Mike its because yer a Dumb Ass Yooper at heart, I have the same problem wit 2 fletch, they always fly like a drunken Yooper walks >:D ::)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Mark Anderson

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 07:35:17 pm »
Thanks El D. ! There is a build along that Jackcrafty did, and that is how I learned. One thing I did though was trim them with a knife AND then thinned the quill with my dremmel. I found that if the feathers are REALLY  soaked for a while in warm water, and then wrapped, you can pull them tight and then as they dry they get even tighter and almost form themselves to the shaft.
here's the link;
https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,13025.msg182245.html#msg182245

Mark.
By the way El, you helped me out alot with suggestions from a walnut bow I did last summer and I have used all those suggestions to finish another walnut just this morning. I'll get it all prettied up tomorrow and post it on here Friday.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 08:58:57 pm »
Thanks Mark..I am glad that I was helpful...seems lately everytime I say something...I am stepping in something...or on someone. >:(
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 09:00:54 pm »
Thanks Mark..I am glad that I was helpful...seems lately everytime I say something...I am stepping in something...or on someone. >:(

Come on now Mike ya know thats not true, we still love ya  :-* Yoopers fer life eh ;)

Manistique, MI