Author Topic: If vikings had pony bows....47" full draw (not for BOM)  (Read 7868 times)

half eye

If vikings had pony bows....47" full draw (not for BOM)
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:45:59 pm »
Hi fellas,
       When I posted the "evil Baby Brother" thing....somebody asked about how short they'd go so here is one that is SHORT. it's 47" NTN, it is made of Black Ash, backed with a 1/8" grey elm. It only draws 40# because the dummy dont which side of the pencil line to cut on :-\    the good news is it will draw 27" with no problem.
       In the photos the arrow shaft is 27" long (has no point as of yet) but put it in the photos so you could see how short the bow is. Draws smooth back to 27, and is realitively quick for only 40#. anyway here it is. I aint goin no smaller, no way, no how either.
half eye ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

Re: If vikings had pony bows....47" full draw (not for BOM)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 01:05:21 pm »
Dang 27" draw out of a 47" bow built from black ash, I think you broke some rules rich LOL

Nice bow rich thats some serious bend ya got going on there :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Diligence

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 01:05:48 pm »
I love these bows.....someday, someday, sigh.....
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 01:19:23 pm »
How wde are the limbs? About 1.75 inches? Impressed at how little set shows in the limbs for such an extreme bend at full draw.

Nice little bow which may be right at the limit - there's only one way to find out! Go on, make one 1/2 inch shorter!

Mark in England

half eye

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 01:29:45 pm »
Mark,
     You are spot on with the width estimate....and as far as the other thing....you were a trouble maker in a past life, no >:D
good eye my friend!
half eye ;)

Offline Dane

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 02:12:42 pm »
Very cute.

You seem to be making the Rus very tiny statured people. :) Now, supposed a Viking was only 3' tall, say a bunch of second son dwarves who decide to go a-viking. What kind of bows would they use to kill tiny monks? :) Monastaries as you know were favorite targets, but I think such a small crew would avoid full stature monks in any case.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline mox1968

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 02:14:53 pm »
nice looking bow well done

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 02:49:15 pm »
You are certainly working that timber hard. Love it...
Real pretty grain showing in that bottom shot.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 03:03:59 pm »
Sweet.  The hat is really close to being viking as well!  At least the shape it.  ;D

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

half eye

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 03:16:05 pm »
Thanks gents,
         Dane....every self respecting viking knows them small monks (chipmunks) is allways the hardest to get so ya got to have the right tool fer the job eh.....remember to piliage BEFORE ya burn. ;D
        Del....that's how it is around here...that wood can work or break ::)... that's how come I get so much kindling wood!!!!
        Swampbow....Got to put ya into that Mark category.... >:D  This old mans bald head needs it's "bankie" at 8 degrees !!!
half eye ;)

Offline Dane

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 03:42:35 pm »
He is right, you just need horns on that hat.

You burn first, then pillage. At least I do....but I usually return with nothing to show for it. I wonder what I am doing wrong?

Seriously, you do fine work. I think you mentioned not making stave bows. How come?

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

half eye

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 04:01:06 pm »
Dane,
       Dont do staves because of poor depth perception (rt. eye is cataryac'd over), when my right wrist was worked on for the umteenth time they put in the plates and screws, screwed up my thumb and ruined the propriocepters....(the brain dont know where yer hand is and the thumb dont work).....make most of my own tools etc. but chasing a single ring (if I could see it) is just not possible. Thats why I dont use a regular stave.....I use staves, just turn on their side and work with the vertical grain because it is easier for me.
half eye ;)

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 04:39:39 pm »
Absolutely fan-fraggin'-tastic, half-eye!  That is one beautiful bow!   A Viking Pony Bow; who'd have thought...
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 05:13:12 pm »
This is quite enjoyable. 47" is way shorter than I would try :) But ash and elm are good candidates for the job. The design is also great for shorter bows.

I would hesitate to call it a bow design of the vikings. The vikings used longbows made from elm and yew. They might also have used two-wood bows from birch and pine.

You're doing great work! Keep it up!

half eye

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 05:47:13 pm »
Kviljo,
       The title of the thread was supposed to be a joke ;D I'm well aware that there never was such a thing, so I apologize if I offended you that was not my intention....just pokin some fun. Basically the whole idea was to see how the Mollegabte design does when it's scaled up or down....and you are right, they flat work and the size doesn't seem to bother it a bit.
half eye ;)