Author Topic: Uneven Limb return question  (Read 4983 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Uneven Limb return question
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 10:53:59 am »
Could it be possible that the image on each frame of the video is affected by the way it is scanned into the camera?  I have seen this with still cameras where it scans from top to bottom and makes it look like one limb is ahead of the other.
Alan
Yeah it could be an effect of the video and the frame rate that the camera records at.  I've seen some pretty crazy things that a video can do.

Turn the camera upside down and try again?

...thanks for the suggestions guys Maybe it is just a  camera thing... I got a pretty cheap video camera it's the Insignia 720 HD flash memory recorder it was like 60 bucks at Best Buy... I am gonna try to record upside down and see if it affects the top limb this weekend.   I would so much rather blame the 60 dollar camera than my bow, ruled everything else out... LOL   :) -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 02:35:38 pm »
I'd say it is definitely a frame scan effect of the camera.
There is no way the arrow leave the string that early...there are some stupid myths about such stuff.
The maximum acceleration will be early on, but the string and arrow will still be accelerating until the string hits full travel.
The rate of acceleration may be slowing but it is still acceleration.
The way to look at it is... at any point the limbs are returning at speed V, what forces are acting on them? There is still force acting to make them return even more, so thay are still gaing speed (maybe not as quickly as at the loose, but they are still gaining speed.
The only thing slowing them is the inertia of the arrow, string and a tiny bit of wind resistance.
For the arrow to leave the string the limbs would have to be actively slowing down which would require a force in the opposite direction...that would mean the limbs would need to be trying to come back towards the archer  :o ... reductio ad absurdum.
I've seen some V weird scan effects from digital cameras, so chill out man.
del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 03:21:22 pm »
 :) thanks Del...  ;D  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 03:45:26 pm »
yeah if the camera is a cheapy it is definitely the culprit.

If you record a subwoofer playing at various frequencies when the signal gets near the recording frame rate of the camera the picture starts to do a wave effect when in reality the speaker is moving linearly.