Author Topic: Stave layout help  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Bowjo

Stave layout help
« on: January 31, 2010, 05:05:14 pm »

I have just finished chasing a ring on a Locust stave.The stave has holes through it in two locations that are only 47"s apart.What kind of bow can I make?Is there anything I can do with these holes?I would also appreciate some limb dimensions for Locust.I was hoping to try a short sinew backed recurve,don't know now.....Joe

Offline Bowjo

Re: Stave layout help
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 05:06:04 pm »

Offline Bowjo

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 05:07:12 pm »

Offline Bowjo

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 05:07:56 pm »

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 05:52:05 pm »
When I get Borer Holes like that ...I normally just lay the Bow out to see where they are going to end up....if in the Middle of the Limb...I say ...who cares...and finish the Bow and back it with Rawhide for security purposes.....if on the Edge...thats spells Trouble...but a 47 inch D Bow with Sinew Backing is capable of 23-24 inches of Draw...and that is really a Push!

You can lay out the Bow...see where the Damage lies...I think it can be worked around....then take some of the Locust Sawdust ...and two part Epoxy...or runny Super Glue...mix it all up....and Hard pack the Holes with this Mixture....let them dry good....and start Tillering...but I would still Back it...just for My Peace Of Mind....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 08:06:52 pm »
If those holes went straight through you could drill them out and put in a Dutchman's plug(glued in dowel). Unfortunately with the locust I've used they normally turn and go elsewhere which generally isn't conducive to bow building.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bowjo

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 09:36:08 pm »
I think I can get rid of the two holes on the one end.I will have to look closer at the single one,maybe it can be plugged or filled..How wide should the limbs be on black locust?Thanks...Joe