Author Topic: How Korean Bamboo Arrows are made  (Read 5257 times)

Offline Bushbow

How Korean Bamboo Arrows are made
« on: January 31, 2010, 10:06:08 am »
You may find this interesting. It is way more complicated than my current method, but I thought it was interesting. Doe anyone make them like this?
koreanarchery.org/index.php?option.=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=80

Link w/pictures
bambooarrow.com/.arrow.html
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:32:07 am by Justin Snyder »

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: How Korean Bamboo Arrows are made
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:29:44 am »
If you are using Tonkin cane, you can do like they make them.  Tonkin is a lot thicker wall and will stand some sanding on the nodes and in between.  Using other cane native to our area, you can not sand them like that because most of the walls are too thin and will break.  As for the fish glue,,,,not a chance......lol.  And I am not real sure what that is they use to wrap the points and nock, but I sure you will not find it here in the usa.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 10:43:50 am »
Nocks and points are wrapped first with sinew/glue and then with thin paper/glue.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 11:24:45 am »
If you are using Tonkin cane, you can do like they make them.  Tonkin is a lot thicker wall and will stand some sanding on the nodes and in between.  Using other cane native to our area, you can not sand them like that because most of the walls are too thin and will break.  As for the fish glue,,,,not a chance......lol.  And I am not real sure what that is they use to wrap the points and nock, but I sure you will not find it here in the usa.

I'll have to respectfully disagree from my experience so far. I've made loads of arrows from native cane with the nodes worked down completely smooth, and so far, I've never broken even one. Shot them into trees, rocks, critters, and they just keep going. I can break a dozen cedar arrows at one 3D shoot, seems like, but that cane is tough. I find native cane to be stronger and harder to break than Tonkin, myself.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 11:33:00 am »
this is a good Video on making a Korean Arrow...just forward in 58 seconds...if you can't wait...and for those interested in Asian Bow Making...watch the first Video and this one.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93EoM77bCVc
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 11:39:08 am »
Hillybilly, I definately agree with you on SOME CANE.  What I have found here locally is Jap Arrow Bamboo and I have tried to get the nodes down and smooth.  With almost all of them the become very weak in that area.  Now I have shot them, and have not broken them as well, but all I was saying is that the other cane, rivercane, switchcane, and sasa boo have stronger nodes that can be worked down without as much problem.  Not saying it can not be done.  IMO.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 01:52:34 pm »
Yeah, I'll agree with you on the Japanese arrow boo, it has nodes that are shaped differently from most other cane and boo, but they usually don't need much smoothing. Tonkin seems to be the most brittle of the cane/boo I've tried. I really like the Sasa, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline stringstretcher

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 03:15:27 pm »
I definately agree on the brittleness of the tonkin also.  I have broken a lot of the ones that I purchased just trying to straighten them.  I wished I could find some sasa.  Nothing like that around here.  I am going sometime down to the tidewater area and see if I can find some river/switch cane.  I should have trimmed Pat's driveway out when I was down there.....shhhhhhhhhsssshhhhhhhhh...that may be another trip.....lol.  Can he shoot good?????? >:D

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 09:49:55 pm »
El D thanks for the Video link, that was cool.