Author Topic: Hawthorn sapling bow  (Read 11293 times)

skerm

Re: Hawthorn sapling bow
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 08:40:04 am »
Thanks for the compliments!
I can hardly await the other staves to dry and make a heavier one!

Daniel

Offline Jay

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 09:21:52 am »
Cool bow!!
How long do you let the saplings dry?

Thanks!
Jay

Offline Parnell

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2010, 10:49:17 am »
You really did a tremendous job with your tillering on this bow.  And I really like your picture presentation to show what's going on.  Nicely done!
1’—>1’

skerm

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2010, 10:53:11 am »
Thanks a lot! I appreciate it!

The saplings were cut on January 08. I gave one away, two others are drying sealed with the bark on. The one I used for this bow had a grip diameter of about 1 1/4 inches, the others are about 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 inches, I didn't measure yet.

I left the bow in the workshop (cold basement) for a few days, then removed the bark and some wood in the outer half of the limbs on the belly side. After a few days in the basement (about 6°C or 43F, I am glad it's getting warmer now...), I left it in the kitchen for another couple of days. There were no checks, so I removed the bark on the side, and left it in the basement again. When it did not show any checks after another few days in the kitchen, I removed the remaining bark and took it to the kitchen after another few days in the basement for the final drying of about 3 weeks. Total drying time must have been 6 weeks, maybe a few days more. I didn't write it down.
There were several knots that I planed through on the belly side. They checked (~5mm cracks), so I recommend sealing these spots. I will do that with the next ones.

There is a larger knot beneath one of the lines patches. This turned out to be a weak spot. It is midlimb and I had to thin the limb near the grip down to the same thickness (!) to get an even bend. This is the reason why I ended up with only 46#. It's still great wood, but I suppose it is better to leave a good extra thickness on knotty spots - I thought 3mm would do, but it didn't.

Daniel